But a new year calls for new upgrades… so what have we been working on?
First off, we've added a gallery timeline to submission headers and drag'n'drop pool re-ordering. Pools now stack horizontally, and we've increased maximum upload size to 36MB.
Next: you laughed at 75px, sniffed at 120px… even 200px wasn't enough! Now, gaze in awe at Inkbunny's 300px 'huge' thumbnails, selectable at the top of galleries and search results. Give it a go!
We can't recommend huge thumbnails for slow/metered connections - they're only lightly compressed and take ~4x the bandwidth of 'large' thumbs - but the layout should work on a wide range of screens. (Posting custom thumbs? We strongly recommend use of the 300px size, at least for new work.)
Speaking of size, our backgrounds have had a 4K/UHD upgrade, with increased resolution/detail and better scaling for users of screen-spanning, simultaneous windows, high-DPI mode, or zooming. Not checked out the top-right switcher recently? Now's a good time! HD or less? No problem… we pick the best you can use out of 24+ sizes, from 4096x2160 (or more) down to 320x480; all in high quality.
Now… as much as we love the scenery, it isn't the main reason people visit Inkbunny - and it wouldn't be fair to artists to offer UHD backgrounds without UHD foregrounds, would it? Say hello to wide mode, which shows the full image on-page. You paid for that bandwidth; we're using it!
If using normal view, click once to fit window width. You can click again to fit it onscreen - or select wide as your default. Middle-click or ctrl-click to open the image in a new tab. Since it's the original file, you can also drag it to your desktop or right-click to save to disk. The user interface for this feature is still a work in progress, but we wanted to get it into your hands to try out.
Like huge thumbs, this isn't for tightly-capped connections; but it can look great on widescreen displays and tablets. If you've not been posting your work in high resolution, now might be a good time to start!
Is that it? Not a bit! We've improved image resizing quality and thumbnail handling:
* We now use a Lanczos-filtered linear colorspace when resizing. This should significantly improve the fidelity of all resized images. Medium thumbnail and user icon unsharp masking is also applied within this space. * BBCode thumbnail widgets now respect your original/custom thumbnail preference. * Custom JPG thumbnails within the relevant dimensions are no longer regenerated. We suggest JPG quality 85 with 4:4:4 floating point chroma subsampling. In Photoshop this is "Save For Web: quality 60" or "High - 8" quality. * We now generate all thumbnails from the original-sized file to avoid artefacts. * We improved fidelity when scaling transparent GIF thumbnails and converting to JPG, and use a white background for the resize operation, rather than a black one.
We cut redundant database queries and made many other optimizations:
* If there's no custom thumbnail, we load the original thumbnail directly rather than a via symlink, shrinking the database and freeing 2.7 million inodes and cache duplicates. * We eliminated small thumbnails entirely, cutting upload time by a second. [smallthumb], [smallpool] and pool display now use resized medium-size thumbs. * Removed repeated calculation/storage of your text-version time zone, used in account settings. * Minimized and cached maintenance, e-commerce, account signup and keywords suggestion status. * Removed indexes on watches, notice receipt, submission counts and icon file deletion times. * Added an index to speed up searching for old names when a userpage is accessed. * Massively sped up shout deletion by optimizing shout notification count update queries. * Improved submission post/update performance by pre-calculating the list of already-notified users. * Improved per-session and per-IP tracking of temporary search result tables. This let us increase the validity period for visitors, and keeps database size consistent. * Reduced the amount of data retrieved when identifying relevant keywords in a gallery/search. * Cached selection of examples for the BBCode help page; pool is required to be 100% G-rated. * Eliminated duplicate information in background/sizing cookies, and added sanity checks. * Convert submission count recalculation to database trigger and split for gallery/scraps. * Enable GPU rendering and separate background layer with transform: translateZ(0) on webkit. * Eliminated custom/original thumb flag in favour of testing presence of thumb dimensions. * Improved efficiency of user stats trigger by updating only on deleted or visible status change. * Select prefetch and prerender target from the currently-browsed pool.
We've condensed page elements to show more of your content above the fold:
* Removed "owner options" text to cut one line from the submissions header. * Combined owner gallery item selection block with status icons. * Removed donation link on submissions and userpages. Nice idea, but a poor use of space. * Removed redundant gallery/scraps link from submission view. * Reduced page descriptors, search links, and keywords to one line each. * Condensed pool header BBCode display. * Removed duplicate old names on account page. * Adjusted positioning of staff/donor icons on userpage.
Other UI changes include:
* New mascot banners by Delicious, hanage1, [name]Novus6[/name], thekzx and NioFloofArtist. * Add clickable left-right arrows buttons to pools. * Add invert button for owner gallery view selections. * Increase visibility of bottom paginator and thumbnail size/original/custom switcher. * Limit number of pools displayed by default on a submission. * Name and link selected background submission in site footer and selector. * Fix pre-calculated width of grey expandable gallery header. * Links navigating within a multi-page pool move the view to the top of the picture block. * Pool length is now limited to 60 characters to avoid container overflow. * Eliminate horizontal scrollbar at minimum width (~1024px). * Add Piczel as a suggested streaming option. * BBCode pool widgets are no longer in reverse order. * Force fixed table layout for PMs to prevent long strings breaking the table. * Increase size of user page links. * Add display section to account settings for thumbnail and widescreen settings. * Clarify that "displaying blocked submissions" is about blocking thumbnails. * Inform user when an account is refusing PMs, rather than imply a block. * Rename "suggested submissions" to "suggested for you" - it's based on favorites by those you watch. * Change "Reply" input box title to "New Comment" to avert top-level 'replying'. * Add link and form to create new pool in pools list. * Add owner links to pool management options on the pools list. * Make empty pools visible to the owner on their user page. * Move suggested submissions activity type to "Activity by Others" column. * Remove "Digital for sale" from Popular page. * Add "Show Custom Thumbnails" as option to Account Settings page. * Reword content server explanation. * Give concrete examples of dimensions accepted for upload. * Explain re-ordering on first-time publication for bulk submissions upload. * Bold max custom thumbnail size and remove duplicate mention of pixels. * Standardize opacity CSS; remove prefixed border-radius, opacity and outline rules. * Don't blank the reply box if cancel is clicked, to avoid losing a reply. * Cut horizontal rule above submission details if there's no description or edit link. * Don't allow widesceen gallery width to be set below 960px. * Add back button to keyword suggestion history page. * Cut footer social icon opacity to 70% and add LinkedIn. * Used improved opacity setting function for autosuggest fade-in/out. * Link to pool gallery in pool name in pool assign view, and tweak colours.
* Fixed Twitter/Facebook cards and generate a reasonable description from profiles. * Only generate the page title/og:title once. * Use huge-size thumbnail for metadata image and provide dimensions. * Added rel="author" markup to provide semantic indication of authorship * Added rel="me" on contact details to aid identity consolidation. * Removed rel="nofollow" on contact details, since they're created by the page owner. * Added YouTube channel as profile contact method and converted existing channels. * Removed TinyURL tweet link munging.
* Excluded expensive-to-generate search pages via robots.txt. Bots should use sitemaps or the API. * Allow members to delete staff shouts and comments, unless marked as indelible. * Enabled OpenSearch, allowing you to add Inkbunny to your search box. * Converted Piwik stats script load to relative path; eliminate path variable. * Titles of submissions not available to the viewer are no longer displayed. * Fixed description/story username search for members with userid >= 10. * Fixed BBCode interpretation of bracketed phrases starting with 'Schema.org[/url] WebSite and Organization markup. * Add Pingit to donation options. * API: only output [non]custom thumbnail URL/dimensions if each is present. * Warn staff when fsync is off for testing. * Don't assume we have results for certain queries, decreasing PHP error logging by 12x. * Use display:none for +fav icon preload rather than offscreen elements. * Improved cross-browser compatibility with JS style setting functions. * Use $ instead of document.getElementById where possible. * Fixed directory creation when replacing a thumbnail in a public submission. * API: Add friends_only status per submission in search results. * Always set a referer for the last error message, even if it's blank. * Cut redundant window. references in JS. * Make staff PM username configurable and ensure consistent sorting in PM list.
As you can imagine, with so many changes there'll be a few kinks to work out, and we'll be listening closely to your feedback over the coming days. Please file a support ticket if you see anything amiss! And as always, many thanks to our donors, cachesponsors and volunteers for their continued support.