Hey, it's been a while, but I'm still working on my Waccoon puppet. My first prototype was insightful, but flawed. It was too big, and the muzzle was impossible to manipulate. After watching a lot of tutorials on YouTube, I started working on prototype #2 with the mouth open by default, to be built out of 1/2" foam.
1) All great projects start with a bright idea!
2) Sculpey is like violence. If it doesn't solve your problem, use more of it.
3) The basic shape. I only have enough clay to make half the head, so I hope this works!
4) Dude finally has a mouth! This muzzle shape makes a lot more sense than the first cartoonish prototype.
5) Say aaaah. Say aaaah! NOW SPIT!
6) Oooooh... spoopy! The curse of the living Waccy!
7) Trying to splice up the clay sculpture as best I can. This is my first attempt at making a template, so I'm nervous to take it apart.
8) The rough templates. These will be enlarged about 150% to reach the final size.
9) I've seen some s**t, man. I've seen some s**t.
10) Wow, this came together really well! The muzzle seems a bit off, though.
11) Back looks pretty good, too! I'll have to do some carving to get the "wings" to look right, and as usual, they may need to be bigger.
12) Oh, duh... the muzzle is on upside-down! I should have labeled which pieces join together (but where's the fun in that?)
13) Ahhhh, that looks better, now that the muzzle is no longer upside-down.
14) WAAAAAC! Yes, the cheeks definitely need to be bigger and perkier. I'll just blow up those templates a bit. The cheek fuzz will be done Sonic style when fitting the fleece covering.
15) Foam! The stuff I have is a bit old, but thankfully it's industrial grade and still in great shape. Urethane foam is crap and will break down in a few years. This stuff lasts decades.
16) The final foam pieces, sized up 150%, washed, and ready to glue. Alas, my contact cement is all dried up, so I need to get some more in a few days.
That's all the progress I have for now. The foam pieces fit really well and I'm super excited to put him together! Getting the mouth to work nicely is the important part, as everything else can be carved and hacked to fit. The ears will be fitted later, since they're just simple curls. Once I've made more progress, I'll look into how viable it is to make the eyes blink.
Photography - Fursuit/Sculpture/Jewelry/etc
11 months, 2 weeks ago
07 Sep 2017 08:58 CEST
Full Size: e5966b0f2d33960607f4339e2fc4a295