We have a bunch of site feature updates to report. But before we begin...
Congrats to SoFurry 2.0
Firstly we'd like to say congratulations to Toumal and all the developers at SoFurry for the release of the Beta of SoFurry 2.0. They have put a lot of work in to it. It's looking really professional and hugely improved. Go check it out! https://beta.sofurry.com/
The furry community benefits from having lots of active and growing sites. They all have a different mix of members, features and policies, which is why it's important they all exist. Be sure to hunt around to find the one that best suits you!
We encourage everyone to support a couple of sites if they can. Choosing one as your primary site and checking/updating the others less frequently is a good way to manage this. It also means you get to see a wider range of artists and your own artwork gets more exposure.
And now for a run-down of the major changes in the latest version of Inkbunny!
We now have a keyword auto suggest feature which will appear when you type in the text box on the Search page, keyword entry section for Editing Submissions and username search on the Members page.
As you type, keywords will be suggested to you. This is similar to what happens when you go to Google and it gives you word/phrase suggestions as you type.
This is a highly experimental new feature for this site. There may be some bugs and other weirdness at first. Please report any problems you have with it.
Keywords are "rated" based on the kinds of images they are applied to. So generally, someone with adult ratings turned off will get tamer keyword suggestions. It's not perfect but it should keep most of the really naughty words out of view for anyone that has higher ratings disabled.
Only keywords assigned to a significant number of submissions will be shown as suggestions.
No longer using Google Analytics or Addthis.com
In a move to improve privacy, we are no longer using two features that sent your IP and other personal data offsite (which included Google Analytics and Addthis.com share buttons). We now use a local stats tracking package that runs on the Inkbunny server. We may add our own custom locally-hosted share buttons soon.
Because Google+ has a strange way of identifying account pages, you have to type the full page URL into the contact entry. But this means you can customise whether it links to your Profile page, Content page, etc. When you add the G+ contact type, just copy/paste the URL you want it to link to.
That's it for the really interesting stuff. Now for the big detailed list!
The official list of changes for the latest version of Inkbunny; Beta 49:
* Added: Keyword and Username auto suggester in text fields on Search, Members and Edit Submissions (Keywords entry) pages. This feature makes suggestions for keywords or usernames as you type. Keywords are "rated" based on the kinds of images they are applied to. So generally, someone with adult ratings turned off will get tamer keyword suggestions.
* Added: Google+ is now a contact type that can be added to your Profile.
* Fixed: A bug in the user icon upload page meant you could upload as many icons as you like, not the limit of 10. Now the limit is imposed properly. Anyone with more than 10 icons gets to keep them all, but you will have to delete them until you have less than 10 if you want to upload any new ones.
* Removed: We are now no longer using Google Analytics or Addthis.com share buttons. Both features would send your IP and other personal data offsite. We have removed them to better protect your privacy.
* Changed: Allowed Ratings selection on Accounts now prevents “weird” choices like turning on Extreme Violence but leaving regular Violence off.
* Added: We are now using a new locally hosted site traffic tracking system to replace Google Analytics.
* Fixed: A bug in the Search system prevented searches from working correctly if they used small words (such as “my”, “at”, “in” etc). This usually only affected multi word searches that contained small words eg: “my little pony”.
* Fixed: The Site Announcement box that appears at the top of the page now displays times with correct padding with zeroes. Eg: 4:08am and not 4:8am.
* Fixed: A cross site scripting vulnerability was found in the Background and Logo changers. It would allow specially crafted links or image tags on other sites to force your browser to choose a certain IB background or logo. Thanks to
* Optimised: Made the background loader JS/AJAX system a bit more efficient.
* Optimised: We changed the default Postgresql buffer memory usage config from 24MB to 2GB. It won't make much difference to speed in the short-term as our server has pretty fast disk drives (read/write to disk wasn't much of a speed penalty under the current load). But the config change means most of the database now lives cached in memory, allowing the site to deal much more easily with increased load as we grow.
* Optimised: A few small code optimisations were made.
* Updated/Fixed: Various minor security features were improved and fixed.