We've updated the site with the following changes, fixes and new features!
* Added: A bunch of new site banners! Many thanks to the artists who created them. Hover over the site logo to see the changer so you can cycle through them, or hit the “R” to see a random one per page load. Banners are always welcome, but we cannot guarantee if/when they will be added due to the highly manual process it takes to add them at the moment.
* Added: The artist’s name now appears when hovering over the chosen site logo/banner.
* Changed: Donors now get to keep their sponsor badge for up to one year depending on the amount donated over a given period (it drops one level at three and six months, and reverts to the “past sponsor” leaf icon once it drops below Bronze level). See https://inkbunny.net/donations.php#details for a list of the donor levels.
* Fixed: Several submissions imported using FA2IB had broken Fur Affinity username or submission links in their descriptions. These should work now.
* Changed: We’ve increased the per-connection speed limit to 2MB/s as we have the spare overhead in our bandwidth. This should mean faster page loads for people with fast internet connections.
* Security: We have dropped SSLv3 support, to protect our site and users from recently discovered exploits in that protocol. Users with very old browsers may need to update to access the site. https://inkbunny.net/journalview.php?id=153381
* Fixed: Better indication and explanation for when users banned from your account were added to your banlist by staff (which means you cannot unban them yourself).
* Changed/Added: When you unban a user you banned from your account, it now has a delay (currently 6 hours) before the unban actually takes effect. This is to prevent people unbanning people for brief periods just to comment on their accounts, then banning them again (because if you ban someone from your account, it stops you commenting on their account or replying to their comments too).
* Fixed: Better support for multibyte characters when truncating strings. Previously when text contained special characters like Chinese characters, it would sometimes break and display blank areas when we tried to cut text to a certain length such as for journal text summaries. For example we now tell the system to return “the first 100 characters” rather than “the first 100 bytes”.
* Optimised: Our PHP session files were storing a whole bunch of redundant data. We’ve trimmed them to 10% of their original size, saving disk space, memory and giving us a bit of a speed boost.
* Fixed: Formatting issues for the “Sort By” and “Date Range” options on the Search Results page caused by the addition of search options.
* Updated: Revised the list of suggested streaming services at the top of the “Advertise Stream” page.
* Fixed: Sometimes a registered Twitter account wouldn’t show automatically on the userpage contact details list when the user had turned that option on.
* Fixed: Now displaying the correct error page to guests if they try to perform some actions that require a login.
* Fixed: User icon uploads now checks if the user has overall file upload permission.
* Fixed: A bunch of little spelling and grammar issues were corrected.
* Optimised: Skip checking what users the Guest user is watching (data we cache per request for logged in users). That was redundant when Guest can never watch.
* Optimised: Don’t check for next/previous items in pools if there are no pools to display for the user account being viewed.
* Optimised: Don’t try to iterate through empty arrays in a bunch of places if no results are returned for a search. This cuts down on superfluous warning messages in the logs and gives us a little speed boost.
* Optimised: Set default values for some functions where leaving those values null was causing benign warnings in the error logs. Gives us less cluttered logs and a little speed boost.
* Optimised: A bunch of other little chunks of superfluous code, duplicate IF statement checks and other silly things removed.
* Optimised: Now using multithreaded XZ as our preferred compression method for logs. This makes log processing faster and saves disk space.
* Optimised: Stop logging every database connection via the connection pooler. This was redundant info that was filling up log files.
* Changed: The message on the Donors page now says that having your Donor Icon displayed is optional, rather than off by default. We found that most people wanted their icon turned on by default, so having it off wasn’t efficient.
* Updated: Lots of improvements to the server and web application install and maintenance documentation.
* Changed: There’s now a more helpful message in the Location pages that advises you to choose a nearby location in the same timezone if your particular city isn’t found, or no cities are found in your country.
* Optimised: We now use NR_HUGEPAGES memory option in Linux to allow more efficient use of memory space by the database.
* Optimised: Changed logging options for Piwik site activity tracker to optimise disk space usage and speed.
* Optimised: Enabled buffered logs for Apache and Postgresql, which eases the load on the disk I/O and gives us a speed boost.
* Fixed: Submission owners can now add keywords to their own HIDDEN (non-public or friends-only) submissions via the keyword suggester on the submission page. Previously it would give them the same error message that others would see if they tried to add suggested keywords to a hidden submission.
* Changed: We now use HSTS (Strict-Transport-Security) on all subdomains. We were already using it on the main domain. This means subdomains such as http://wiki.inkbunny.net will always try to use https:// instead of http:// regardless of what protocol is in the actual URL.
* Fixed: The Roles Management page (a moderator tool) now remembers the settings you chose if it returns to that page to display an error, such as a mistyped password.
* Changed: Site descriptions now place less emphasis on currently disabled sales features.
* Changed: Made it more clear on user account creation that you must agree to the Acceptable Content Policy (ACP). Previously this was implicit in agreeing to the broader Terms of Service. This hopefully means new users will read and understanding the ACP before posting.
* Changed: Improved the wording of the login error message to help users better work out why their login attempt might be failing and how to fix it.
* Fixed: FA usernames containing '^' and '.' will now be correctly linked in contact details
* Fixed: Trying to log in to a deleted account will now show a more meaningful error message on the login screen.
* Changed: “Popular” page now shows top 120 submissions in the last 3 days (was top 100). 120 items divides into the 60 items per page much more nicely, plus you get to see a few more submissions in the top list!
* Changed: Donation method signup links now use HTTPS
* Changed: AlertPay has been renamed to Payza
* Changed: Since Fur Affinity, SoFurry, deviantART, Twitter, YouTube, WikiFur, Wikipedia, Flayrah, F-list, e621, Flickr, PayPal and Facebook all support HTTPS, submission descriptions, journals, comments and profiles linking to them have been changed to use it. This stops anyone on the same network (except corporate proxied networks) from determining that you were using Inkbunny when using one of these links, or what page you were going to. We strongly suggest you use HTTPS when using and linking to Fur Affinity and SoFurry, as it is not currently their default.
* Changed: da!, fa! and sf! external links now use HTTPS. We recommend you use these shortcuts instead of bare URLs to user pages.
* Changed: YouTube, F-list, Steam and WikiFur profile links now use HTTPS.