Type: Bolt-action rifle Origin: Switzerland Year: 1931 Length: 1,105 mm (43.50 in) Barrel length: 652 mm (25.67 in) Weight: 4.0 kg (8.82 lb) Caliber: 7.5x55mm Swiss Capacity: 6 rds
The K31 is a straight-pull bolt-action rifle fielded by the Swiss military during the 1930s through the 1950s when it was replaced by the StgW 57. Developed by Colonel Adolf Furrer, the K31 is often considered among the finest made military service rifles ever issued. While the Switzerland's neutrality during World War II meant that the rifle never saw the mud and blood of the front lines, the K31 did help Swiss soldiers and militia secure the nation's borders and more than a few Axis and Allied airmen saw the muzzles of the K31 when they were taken into custody after landing in Swiss territory. While the K31 has never been confirmed to have seen combat, there is a possibility that a small number of rifles fitted with either optics or diopter sights ended up in the hands of the Israelis in 1948, though such a situation cannot be confirmed to the clandestine nature of such a transaction due laws preventing the sale of weapons to Israel at the time.
Having long since retired from military service, the K31 has become a popular military surplus rifle with civilian shooters and collectors in various parts of the world. Due to the practice of Swiss soldiers placing troop tags containing such information as their name, unit, and location of the soldier to whom the rifle was issued, some owners of surplus K31s have managed to locate and contact said Swiss soldiers.