- Ned, it's time to wake up!
Ned Ashcroft, 12 years old and little fatigued, slowly rose from his bed. Today's the day he would finally receive his starter Pokémon! He put on his day clothes and arrived at the kitchen.
- Oh, there you are. I hope you didn't have any nightmares dear child. Ned's mom said.
- Yeah, I slept well alright. So, any news from professor Juniper?
- She send a message this morning. All eligible trainers from Nacrene are to be present at the town square 10 am and pick the starter of their choosing.
Ned pondered for a while. While his older brother Jim chose Oshawott at the start of his journey, Ned always had his eyes on Snivy, likely because he just happened to like grass-types in general. Eventually an announcement calling new trainers of Unova to get their starters sounded from the radio. Quickly finishing his porridge, Ned bid his mother goodbye before stepping outside to windy Nacrene streets. Walking towards the Central Square, Ned could see lots of children gathered around a podium. A girl wearing a white coat, most likely one of professor Juniper's assistants, was handing out Pokéballs to trainers first in line. Fortunately it took only about 1 hour and 15 minutes before Ned was the next in line.
- Name and address? The girl asked with a cheerful tone.
- Ned Ashcroft, 15a Rowan Avenue.
- Your name's on the list. Now, which starter Pokémon you desire?
Ned once again found himself pondering. It's true that Snivy has always been his choice but is it something that Jim would have wanted?
- Well, that's a difficult choice indeed. I have always idolized Jim. Jim Ashcroft, do you remember? He went on his journey 3 years ago and back then, he chose Oshawott. Conquered several gyms but something eventually happened which basically made him quit.
- Yeah, I can emphasize with you there. But as you can see, there's a line and we don't have all day. So, I hope you're able to make your choice as soon as possible.
- Yeah, right. I was just reminiscing back there.
Ned was feeling more confident as ever.
- My starter choice shall be... Oshawott.
At this, the girl picked up a Pokéball from a box marked with a blue band and gave it to Ned. He could hear applause from the other people present at the square.
- I will make you proud Jim. That's a promise. Ned said as he gazed at the ball he now held in his hand.
The girl also handed Ned his trainer card, with all the necessary information on it.
Congratulations, you're now a full fledged trainer. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask around. Registrations for the League will commence shortly at the Gym.
Thanks, Ma'am. I will surely show everyone who's the very best.
Ned then walked away from the square, eager for the adventure that was awaiting him.