Welcome to Inkbunny...
Allowed ratings
To view member-only content, create an account. ( Hide )
Vienna nightmare - Zombie survival game - Characters!
« older newer »
SenGrisane
SenGrisane's Gallery (937)

Vienna Nightmare - Gamesubmission

Spacepets in Spacesuits

Medium (920px wide max)
Wide - use max window width - scroll to see page ⇅
Fit all of image in window
set default image size: small | medium | wide
Keywords male 625345, female 506021, bear 23265, otter 20304, game 5826, dalmation 484, zombies 313, survival 123
Vienna Nightmare – Survivor’s tale

3 months have passed since the outbreak. It all happened so incredibly fast nobody really knew what was happening. Cellphone services were the first ones to go down, since everyone tried to call at the same time. Neither radio nor TV knew anything relevant (or elected not to tell). They just told people to lock themselves up in their homes and to wait for help. But help never came.

Now most people live in small groups, called colonies. This makes it easier to defend themselves. However summer is over and fall has begun. It is going to get cold soon and it will make this situation much worse.

General knowledge of all players:
THE VIRUS: The mutation is caused by a virus, called the Z-virus. The virus can only be transferred by direct contact and not over the air. Each zombie is infected and thus getting hit (or even worse getting bit) carries a risk of getting infected. Ferals are mostly immune though.
The risk of infection increases dramatically if you have open wounds.

ELECTRICITY: So far the electricity is still running (in most parts of the city at least). However radio and TV have gone silent.

WATER: Since Vienna’s water comes directly from the mountains without the need for pumps, fresh Water is not a problem. There are numerous fountains found all over the city (and of course a tap in each house) to drink.
Even the river (Danube) is clean enough to drink from in an emergency. However zombies might have fallen into it and thus could have infected the water.

FOOD: As is to be expected, people went crazy in the first weeks and raided the stores. Later as the number of zombies increased, looters began grabbing rest. Thus many food (and other) stores are now empty. You need luck finding stuff.

STREETS: Cars and other vehicles are often found standing around in the middle of the street. This makes driving with a car a slow and tedious job at best. In worst cases an accident or a traffic jam can block whole streets.

THE ZOMBIE: The standard humanoid zombie is normally slow and can easily be avoided. Do not think you are too safe though as they can move quickly for a short moment and many careless scavengers have met their ends by the deadly zombie hug.

KILLING ZOMBIES: Despite the common phrase “Aim for the head” a zombie can survive without its head (even though it is a rare occurrence). And even though it will mostly stumble around blindly and can’t bite anymore they still have their full strength and can crush your skull if you are careless.
Still if you can go for the head it is rarely a bad idea to do so. Aiming for the head has a -4 to hit penalty (smaller target) but deals 2x damage on a hit.
You can also aim for other limbs. If you attack the legs (-2 to hit, no extra damage) it will slow the zombie down. If you attack the arms (-2 to hit, no extra damage) it can’t punch and has a penalty on CMB.
So far the safest method (without using guns and valuable ammo) is to throw stones at it till it collapses. This however takes a while (unless you are a good shot) and is only feasible in larger groups against a single zombie.

MUTANTS: There are rumors of zombies that are much faster than normal ones as well as other horrible mutations. However you have not seen anything of the sort so far.

OTHER ZOMBIE FACTS:
- Zombies are good at climbing but bad at swimming.
- Zombies do not like fire.
- Loud noise or bright lights lure them in.
- Also they get attracted by the scent of blood and will track a wounded creature over many kilometers.

The Colony
“Strandbad Gänsehäufl”, literally translated “Public Bathing Beach Goosepile”)
Location: 48.228847, 16.43069
Headcount: 45 people. 4 of which are elders and 7 are children. Which leaves 34 people that are fully active adults able to defend.

Food: 280 Food units (unperishable). 1 Food unit can sustain 1 adult for 1 day. Elders and children eat half that amount. This leaves the colony with about 2 weeks before food runs out.

Internet and Communication:
After the initial breakdown cellphone and GPS seem to work okay again (which occasional dead spots as some towers have ceased working or have been damaged). However all dialed numbers to outside the city remain unanswered. Communication inside the city is possible however.
The internet is also up however whatever site you type in, it only shows a general emergency warning site that gives the usual tips what to do in a generic emergency (wait to be rescued).

Vehicles:
1 small car for 5 persons at maximum and minimal trunk space. The needle is on E. It can probably go 20 more km or so. All fuel from cars near the beach has been siphoned already.
1 scooter. The tank is half full (~100 km) however it is not working at this point. It is rather loud and attracts lots of zombies.
3 city bikes. Durable bicycles that can be found all over the city. They use solid rubber wheels which can’t get a flat.
1 rowboat. Can fit 8 people.
2 lawn tractors. Working. However their gas was the first to be siphoned. Loud and slow.

Tools and weapons:

Countless beach loungers and sunshades.
1 shed with all tools necessary to maintain wooden buildings, a beach and the lawn tractors.
1 rifle (23 bullets left). Used by NPC Arcom. Deals 5d6 damage. Uses standard Rifle ammo. Must be reloaded after each shot.
1 shotgun (5 shells left): Shot guns deal double damage at point blank distance (quadruple for a point blank headshot). 5d6 is their standard damage from a few feet away, but that quickly falls off over distance.
1 handgun (11 bullets left, magazine size is 8). Damage 3d6. No reduction in damage over distance.
Anything else a beach resort is likely to have.
4 molotov cocktails (Sadly the guy making these died a week ago. Also fuel is scarce. Deals 3d6 every turn. Reflex 14 or you catch fire (1d6 per turn). You need 2 actions to put it out then. Burns for 2d3 rounds)
1 thick leather jacket (+1 AC, -35% infection chance)
12 gardening gloves (infection chance -5%)
3 pairs of rubber boots (infection chance -5%)

NPCs
Leader: Arcom Pool
He is a male otter and is a long time guest of the beach. He has the Leader Special and thus you get +2 on your will saves as long as you are in the colony and he is on duty. While there haven’t been any “official” elections he is good at organizing and bookkeeping. Thus most people recognize him as leader of the colony.

Doctor: Fran Miller
A female Bear in her 40’s. She is not a real doctor, but a child doctor’s assistant. Still she has managed to keep the booboo’s and ouchies under control so far.

Mechanic: Spotty
A male Dalmatian. He is a toy car enthusiast (those that run on real fuel and not batteries) and has since tried to apply his knowledge of small vehicles to big ones. It’s not perfect but in times like this you take what you get.
He also owns a flying drone with a camera which has been used for reconnaissance. The limited operation radius and short battery lifetime make it hard to use during a mission though. And he is very protective of it. Spotty usually lets it fly up high once per day to check if any military units or zombie hordes are approaching.

Other known colonies:
Donauzentrum Shopping Mall (48.242081, 16.436876)
Unknown number of people inside. All entrances have been barred. The occupants only move over the roofs. They have guns and ammo and are a bit trigger happy. 1 month ago the colony traded the last of their ice cream for a shotgun.
Other than that the area around the mall is rather safe since all zombies get killed by the guys on the roof. Just make sure you don’t look like one.

Shopping Center Nord (48.267556, 16.398832)
One of the guys in your colony has a friend there. They used to chat regularly over phone. However she hasn’t answered her calls in several days now.
Before the apocalypse the distance to there was only a 15 minute drive at maximum. But now it is an hour long trip on foot.

Gameplay:

Every time I update I will give you information about what has happened before and what awaits you now. You reply with your reactions and your next action (out of combat that can be a lot).

Don’t forget that I will have to roll dice in some situations to determine the outcome.
So please don’t write: “I fire and kill the zombie with a perfect headshot.”
Write this: “In my turn I aim carefully and fire at the zombie’s head.”

Also when your descriptions involve others do not write for other players as you don’t know what they would say or do. If you have to conduct a lengthy discussion with another player, maybe try going into a chat and then post the chatlog for more efficiency.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
page
1
page
2
page
3
page
4
page
5
page
6
page
7
page
8
page
9
page
10
page
11
page
12
page
13
page
14
page
15
page
16
page
17
page
18
page
19
page
20
page
21
page
22
page
23
page
24
page
25
page
26
page
27
page
28
page
29
page
30
page
31
page
32
page
33
page
34
page
35
page
36
page
37
page
38
page
39
page
40
page
41
page
42
page
43
page
44
page
45
page
46
page
47
page
48
page
49
page
50
page
51
page
52
page
53
page
54
page
55
page
56
page
57
page
58
page
59
page
60
page
61
page
62
page
63
page
64
page
65
page
66
page
67
page
68
page
69
page
70
page
71
page
72
page
73
page
74
page
75
page
76
page
77
page
78
page
79
page
80
page
81
page
82
page
83
page
84
page
85
page
86
page
87
page
88
page
89
page
90
page
91
page
92
page
93
page
94
page
95
page
96
page
97
page
98
page
99
page
100
page
101
page
102
page
103
page
104
page
105
page
106
page
107
page
108
page
109
page
110
page
111
page
112
page
113
page
114
page
115
page
116
page
117
page
118
page
119
page
120
page
121
page
122
page
123
page
124
page
125
page
126
page
127
page
128
page
129
page
130
page
131
page
132
page
133
page
134
page
135
page
136
page
137
page
138
page
139
page
140
page
141
page
142
page
143
page
144
page
145
page
146
page
147
page
148
page
149
page
150
page
151
page
152
page
153
page
154
page
155
page
156
page
157
page
158
page
159
page
160
page
161
page
162
page
163
page
164
page
165
page
166
page
167
page
168
page
169
page
170
page
171
page
172
page
173
page
174
page
175
page
176
page
177
page
178
page
179
page
180
page
181
page
182
page
183
page
184
page
185
page
186
page
187
page
188
page
189
page
190
page
191
page
192
page
193
page
194
page
195
page
196
page
197
page
198
page
199
page
200
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
next
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
previous
page
 
 
page
1
page
2
page
3
page
4
page
5
page
6
page
7
page
8
page
9
page
10
page
11
page
12
page
13
page
14
page
15
page
16
page
17
page
18
page
19
page
20
page
21
page
22
page
23
page
24
page
25
page
26
page
27
page
28
page
29
page
30
page
31
page
32
page
33
page
34
page
35
page
36
page
37
page
38
page
39
page
40
page
41
page
42
page
43
page
44
page
45
page
46
page
47
page
48
page
49
page
50
page
51
page
52
page
53
page
54
page
55
page
56
page
57
page
58
page
59
page
60
page
61
page
62
page
63
page
64
page
65
page
66
page
67
page
68
page
69
page
70
page
71
page
72
page
73
page
74
page
75
page
76
page
77
page
78
page
79
page
80
page
81
page
82
page
83
page
84
page
85
page
86
page
87
page
88
page
89
page
90
page
91
page
92
page
93
page
94
page
95
page
96
page
97
page
98
page
99
page
100
page
101
page
102
page
103
page
104
page
105
page
106
page
107
page
108
page
109
page
110
page
111
page
112
page
113
page
114
page
115
page
116
page
117
page
118
page
119
page
120
page
121
page
122
page
123
page
124
page
125
page
126
page
127
page
128
page
129
page
130
page
131
page
132
page
133
page
134
page
135
page
136
page
137
page
138
page
139
page
140
page
141
page
142
page
143
page
144
page
145
page
146
page
147
page
148
page
149
page
150
page
151
page
152
page
153
page
154
page
155
page
156
page
157
page
158
page
159
page
160
page
161
page
162
page
163
page
164
page
165
page
166
page
167
page
168
page
169
page
170
page
171
page
172
page
173
page
174
page
175
page
176
page
177
page
178
page
179
page
180
page
181
page
182
page
183
page
184
page
185
page
186
page
187
page
188
page
189
page
190
page
191
page
192
page
193
page
194
page
195
page
196
page
197
page
198
page
199
page
200
page 1
page 2
Here it is. The beginning.
Players please reply to my comments to this submission where I describe the events of each turn.

Character Sheets:
Vienna nightmare - Zombie survival game - Characters! by SenGrisane

You can still join if you like.

Keywords
male 625,345, female 506,021, bear 23,265, otter 20,304, game 5,826, dalmation 484, zombies 313, survival 123
Details
Type: Writing - Document
Published: 5 years ago
Rating: General

MD5 Hash for Page 1... Show Find Identical Posts [?]
Stats
280 views
2 favorites
98 comments

BBCode Tags Show [?]
 
SenGrisane
5 years ago
The inofficial leader of the colony, the otter Arcom, has called for a meeting. Food supplies are running out and it is time another group is sent out. As the survivors chosen for this run gather, Arcom explains the situation:
"My friends. We need food. We can only last roughly 2 more weeks with what we have, maybe 3 if we ration the stuff. You will have a difficult time ahead. All houses and stores nearby have been emptied. You will need to make a larger trip in more dangerous areas this time. As always be vigilant and careful."
He walks up and down in front of the table visibly nervous. His short brown fur clashes with the yellow and green outfit he wears. But it's the apocalypse, you can't be picky.
"Also fall has come and winter is only a few months away. The beach houses are not really optimal for winter. So if you can find blankets and maybe a radiator and similar that'd be great. Weapons, ammuntion and tools are always good as well. Just use your best judgement what to bring. If you have any questions ask them now."

GM notes are blue in color:
Every player please replies to this submission or other player's replies to this submission. I can see the comment no matter where you reply, but others can only see it if you reply to their comment. The first post is a good opportunity for a short description and appearance of your character.

Everyone has his personal items, Secret Stash as well as normal clothes (-25% Infection Chance)
Below are the additional items you have to share. Please discuss who takes what with them. Stay reasonable what you can carry. And also discuss if you use any of the vehicles described in the submission above (basically the car or the bikes are the only ones that work atm. However the car's tank is almost empty and you'll need to refuel it somehow to get back.)

Countless beach loungers and sunshades.
1 shed with all tools necessary to maintain wooden buildings, a beach and the lawn tractors.
1 shotgun (5 shells left): Shot guns deal double damage at point blank distance (quadruple for a point blank headshot). 5d6 is their standard damage from a few feet away, but that quickly falls off over distance.
1 handgun (11 bullets left, magazine size is 8). Damage 3d6. No reduction in damage over distance.
Anything else a beach resort is likely to have.
4 molotov cocktails (Sadly the guy making these died a week ago. Also fuel is scarce. Deals 3d6 every turn. Reflex 14 or you catch fire (1d6 per turn). You need 2 actions to put it out then. Burns for 2d3 rounds)
1 thick leather jacket (+1 AC, -35% infection chance)
12 gardening gloves (infection chance -5%)
3 pairs of rubber boots (infection chance -5%)
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC: So the scooter's fuel is incompatible with the small car?  also, I used a random color generator for the clothing colors.))

The red, yellow, and gold unicorn sits there quietly, her clothing at the moment pale grey sneakers, light blue socks, a green jacket between a kelly green and a sea green, over a forest green shirt, and bright turquoise jeans.  The jeans would look a little flashy, but not having been cleaned for three weeks, it's showing a fair amount of dirt.  the darker top layers aren't showing anywhere near as much dirt, but they are starting to stink.  if you really stare you can make out an inch of cleavage, and her jeans can't completely hide the bulge in them, but she looks modest enough that nobody is trying to keep their kids away from her - yet.

She sits there quietly, letting her nails gently trace the ridges of the board gripper of her Annihilator hammer, stuck up her sleeve.  Her eyes are the only part of her moving, as she anticipates her speed and her weapon will make her a prime candidate for going on this mission, and she'd much rather do other...things...than that.
SenGrisane
5 years ago
Yes. Many scooters have oil in their gas since they have no separate oiling for the motor so their lubrication comes from the gas itself. Besides the tank of a scooter is tiny compared to a car.
ProjectDemise
5 years ago
The grey wolf standing a few feet from the leader, arms crossed, nods silently.  His green tee and khaki pants are stained, and his hooded sweatshirt has holes and rips in various spots.  He refuses to get rid of it, seeing it as something of an armor, though the impression one gets is that the armor isn't against zombies.  He speaks very little.  The silver necklace around his neck (thoughtfully blacked out) hangs in plain view.  When asked about the necklace, which is obviously too small for him, he simply shakes his head and seems to zone out.

Demise selects a pair of gardening gloves and pulls them on, then examines the shed for a useable weapon.
SenGrisane
5 years ago
You can make only an improvised weapon (1d6 dmg) from there. The exact look is up to you.
ProjectDemise
5 years ago
Demise takes the hefty metal pole out of the center of an umbrella and twirls it experimentally.  With a nod, he shows himself ready to go.
RileyHyena
5 years ago
The black timberwolf stands outside the small group waiting for something to happen and decision to be made. His duster jacket holding together well but it is not without its damages covers his equipment. He holds his familiar rifle close and looks over the scope, making sure it is tight and on sight. Maybe out of boredom or maybe out of habit he counts his rounds, a task done time and time again knowing its always 7. He feels that maybe he can be a help here, but has his doubts.

Wandering over to the supplies he grabs a pair of rubber boots and laces them on.
SenGrisane
5 years ago
Nothing to add here. Everything is okay.
SenGrisane
5 years ago
"Alright then. If you got everything you need", Arcom continues, "you should select where you want to go and how you want to get there". He leans over a tablet that has the map of Vienna downloaded so you can do your search, despite internet being down.

Just a reminder. You don't have to wait for me to reply to your posts if there is a discussion between players. So please discuss where you want to go. For example look up shops in google maps or other locations you think will be a good place to look for the things you want. Then write a post proposing the location to the others.
And don't forgot other players don't know that they can reply to you unless you reply to their comment.

I uploaded a screenshot of your current position to make it easier for you and to document your travel.
ProjectDemise
5 years ago
"Anything besides food we need and can't do without?"
Khzhak
5 years ago
" ProjectDemise wrote:
"Anything besides food we need and can't do without?"
((OOC: Reply is below.))
EmmetEarwax
4 years, 11 months ago
Arcom continues "And DON'T make the mistake that Griswold did - he recognized one zombie as having been once an old FRIEND, approached him -or it- to appeal to his -or its- "better instiincts". I DON'T have to tell you what happpened next !! Even if you recognize any zombie as having been a friend -blow it away anyway ! Ending its existence may be emotionally wrenching, but you'll be doing it a big favor ! " The shaken crew silently make mental notes of this.
RileyHyena
5 years ago
Inazuma leans over the table, "I think it might be in our best interest to check out shopping center Nord to find out why they went dark and if possible try and restore communications."
Khzhak
5 years ago
She quietly thinks about what they need.  . o O (water, check.  thought engaging activities, check.  someone able-bodied to accompany them...oh my.  a proper weapon to go with.  hmm....)  she gets up, and walks to Demise.  "So what's a big guy like you planning on using for defending yourself?"
ProjectDemise
5 years ago
Demise brandishes his heavy beach umbrella pole in response.
Khzhak
5 years ago
She blinks, and blinks again.  "umm...I dunno...doesn't look too sturdy."
ProjectDemise
5 years ago
"It'll do for now."
Khzhak
5 years ago
She says nothing for a few seconds, then lifts up her hand, showing her cuff being pulled away from her hand by something heavy.  she uses her other hand to lift her hammer out from her sleeve.  "No, it's not good enough."  She sighs, and with a rather disappointed tone to her voice, "I guess I gotta go too, huh?"
RileyHyena
5 years ago
Inazuma looks at the pair, "Yeah it seems you should, might make dealing with these things easier if you do." He looks back at the map, "So what do you think we should do first?"
Khzhak
5 years ago
"We got water, and stuff to occupy bored minds and idle hands.  so food."  She gives a brief nod, to emphasize her point.

as she says that, she slips her hammer back into her sleeve, the chisel-guard on well enough to stay on for now.
RileyHyena
5 years ago
Staring at the map, "Well if we head west over the bridge and follow the coast up, I see a restaurant. Hopefully the looters during the beginning didn't hit this like they probably raided the grocers. We might be able to find a substantial food source and possibly a method of transport to get a large quantity back quickly." Looks at Taras, "In my opinion its a decently safe route and as long as we stay quiet we shouldn't have too much too worry about."
Khzhak
5 years ago
She looks at her sneaker-covered hooves.  "I think I can manage quiet.  and anything we haven't checked yet...." as she trails off, the rest of the thought only implied.
RileyHyena
5 years ago
Inazuma looks to Demise, "I'm ready, I think Taras is ready, are you?"
Khzhak
5 years ago
"No!", she abruptly says, "but I guess I don't have much choice in the matter, do I?"  She scuffs her sneaker soles on the floor, scraping what dirt there is underhoof, looking not at all thrilled about the prospected idea.
RileyHyena
5 years ago
The black wolf opens his arms offering a hug, "I know it's stressful and scary, but unless you know of a safer place to get food we have to go. I'm sorry."
Khzhak
5 years ago
She latches on to him like a big ol' scared child, and mutters "No...."  It's a good thing she isn't stronger or you might have broken ribs, she forgot she's still got that hammer up her sleeve; she didn't hit hard, she's just squeezing.
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC: There are replies below.  Just FYI ^_^ ))
SenGrisane
5 years ago
Arcom listens to the conversation, but holds himself back. After all he wouldn't be going out there so it was theirs to decide how they'd do it. Nothing worse than trying to push something onto them which they won't follow afterwards anyway.
As he hears Inazuma talk about the restaurant near the beach he says: "That one is very close. I think we raided that one already. You should go at least for a half mile. Everything else so close has probably been checked by previous scavenger teams."

He glances out of the window his tail twitching nervously. "You might want to speed your decision up. You won't have daylight forever."

If you want to give me a goal or goals then please give me the coordinates as it is easiest for me. You can get coordinates in google maps by right clicking and pressing "What's here?"
Khzhak
5 years ago
She still has a bit of a shaky voice, and says "Maybe there could be something between Donaupark and Bruckhaufen, the road that connects here, that island only goes about a half mile south, doesn't it?"
RileyHyena
5 years ago
He looks at her and nods, "Yeah that looks like a good idea, and with a few public transportation stops on the path we might get lucky and find some cars with fuel still in them. So we have the possibility of finding food and increasing our stockpile of gas, I think you might be a genius."
Khzhak
5 years ago
She shakes her head, "Hardly.  I just know that South, we'll get cornered, and that's North.  I mean, with the river...." the implication being that there are only so many choices.
RileyHyena
5 years ago
"Yeah I understand where you're coming from, but I agree with you that its a good route with a variety of options." He sighs, "I guess it goes without saying that I'm in, plus we need to get moving before it starts to get dark."
ProjectDemise
5 years ago
Demise stretches a bit, seeming to steel his resolve for leaving the relative safety of the colony.  "Gotta hit my supply stash before we go.  Just in case."

(OOC: Where IS my stash of medical supplies, Sen?)
SenGrisane
5 years ago
Somewhere inside the green "safe" zone. You can place it where you like ^^
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC: There are replies below. ))
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC: there are replies below. ))
Khzhak
5 years ago

((OOC: I just got the Google earth plugin.  I found Spoons Café-Restaurant im Donaupark, and Danube Tower.))
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC: I'm watchin' No Reservations: Vienna right now.  loads of good stuff they're showin' but I figure game-wise they're all emptied out if they've been televised.  best food prospects are probably non-chain mom 'n pop restaurants, ideally at the back of a strip mall or alley.))
SenGrisane
5 years ago
Don't worry too much about details. Just pick a route and you're good. ^^
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC:  I figure we follow the blue route to the bridge going East, then continue North, skirt the park, then figure somethin' out from there.  oh, I'll grab a pair of gardening gloves too, between various types of footpaws, and my character's hooves, I figure the boots ain't gonna fit, or only one pair at most, if I'm lucky.  if a pair of those fits, I'll wear that too, instead of sneakers.))
SenGrisane
5 years ago
You can find a fitting pair. I will wait till tomorrow at work and then update with your chosen path. It probably won't be perfect, but this is the first time we do this so there will be some experimenting ^^
Khzhak
5 years ago
((OOC: So if I get this right, -30% chance I'll get infected, and the same +4 to resist if I somehow manage to get infected. I'm wondering what the base chance of infection is in the first place.  either way, one third less likely it'll catch, that's pretty good odds. ^_^  oh yeah, anyone take the leather jacket yet?  nobody else wants it, I'l take it and be Meat Shield, my new total then would be -65% infection chance.  and who wants guns?  I ain't using one, and there are two, so that should work out well. ))
RileyHyena
5 years ago
Sooo we finally ready?
SenGrisane
5 years ago
Seems so. But I will update tomorrow. I am going to bed now ^^
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
You pack up your belongings and head to the improvised gate of the bridge. The road was blocked off with a large car which was reinforced on the sides with wooden planks, chairs, tables and other bulk objects. The only way in and out (apart from climbing over) was going through the car, entering one side and exiting the other.
You swallow as the guard locks the car door behind you once you're outside. Even though the colony is right next to you, standing in front of the protective wall instead of behind it makes you uneasy.

But there is no use in lamenting. You walk down the bridge and make a right turn at the first opportunity, passing by the beach parking lot. It is very quiet. You remember from before that like every big city you had this constant low hum of the traffic moving through the streets. But there is nothing now.
Oh there are cars, but they are mostly standing around, often even in the middle of the street. The ones you see at the moment have all been emptied of their precious lifeblood already. Arcom had the great idea to mark the emptied cars with a red marker can so others wouldn't have to waste time checking the tank. The restaurant and the other buildings you pass by have been marked in a similar way.

You follow the coast onto a tiny island filled with a handful of small houses with water access. A quick check reveals they are mostly used for weekend visits in summer and have only tiny refrigerators. The only thing you manage to find in your search is a chocolate bar and 3 apples that have gone soft already but should be edible.
As you want to cross the small bride though you see... a zombie. It is a lone one luckily, since the colony patrols the area regularly and kills all they can. This one must have wandered in from someplace else.
The bridge is broad enough for 2 cars and the zombie stands in the middle of the road. The poor creature must have been a dog once, but now his fur has fallen out along with much of its skin and ugly rashes covered the rest.

What do you do? Going around on a different path will cost you time, evading means you may have to face it again on the way back or it could follow your trail. Killing it also has a risk of it's own.
Loot so far:
1 chocolate bar
3 apples

Additional Information: If you want to search a place you can either do a general search and I will randomly determine what and if you find something. Or you can do a specific search (I search for a can opener) and I roll a % chance you find it. The chance is higher of course the more likely something is to find in the place you search.
You can also do both.
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
Another survivor has decided to join you at the last moment ^^
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
Taras sighs quietly, and slips her hammer out, taking the guard off the chisel, and slipping it in a pocket of her denim trousers.  "I got this, don't waste ammo on it."  She sneaks forward, trying to get closer without it noticing.  if she can close half the distance...then she'll think of something, sneaking up might not work, and her hammer is ready.

((OOC: who's the fresh meat- uhh...I mean new guy?  ^_^ ))
RileyHyena
4 years, 12 months ago
Inazuma crouches down to stabilize his aim in the odd event she misses, quietly he whispers, "Alright got you covered."
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
You can find his character sheet in the other submission. I asked him to post but he hasn't yet ^^.

You manage to close in to half the distance without it noticing you. You are now approximately 100 feet away.
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
((OOC: ooh, one of those hyoo-man things?  cool.  and that far?  meep...in that case.... ))

She waves behind, for everyone else to follow, and also keeps an eye out for any other lone undead that may be around.  She'll attempt to sneak up to it, until she's close enough to bash its head in, but fully expects it will spot her first, and gets ready to smash a skull at a full running speed as it charges her.
ProjectDemise
4 years, 12 months ago
(OOC: Is it possible that we hit up my medical supply stash on the way to the bridge?  If so, I have three med kits just in case)

Demise adjusts his pole so it won't drag on the ground, and follows Taras, moving as quickly and silently as he can.
RileyHyena
4 years, 12 months ago
Inazuma follows on the rear, keeping his head on a swivel to make sure they don't get any surprises.
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
You don't see any other surprises. As you attempt to follow Taras you step into a bit of broken glass which gets the zombies attention (you rolled badly on your stealth ^^). Luckily Taras charged the zombie a moment later and thus distracted it from you.
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
You start fully stocked with 5 uses and there are 18 more in the van (whose location you can chose so it might have been on the way anyway).
Also the zombie has no noticed you yet. You are roughly 60 ft away from it.
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
I am still in the test phase how to handle the stats in and out of combat so don't wonder if I change how things are presented from time to time. I am writing all my rolls down for you to get a feel for the system. I will get less wordy as we continue our play.

Since we are now actively engaged I rolled Initiative (Your reflex save + d20 decides who gets to go first). You all rolled high and are faster than the zombie. The order was: Inazuma (17+1), Bastion (14+2), Demise (15+1), Khzhak (9+5) , Zombie (10)
But since you delayed your action (you waited for Khzhak to act) Khzhak moved to first position.
By the way Zombie always assume they rolled a 10 (which is a bit below average of a d20). This makes it easier for me to manage as all Zombies act at the same time (unless there are different kinds of Zombies of course).

As you move in closer your stealth check does not suffice to get all the way (you rolled a 8 (+ 3) on stealth, while the zombie rolled a 16). This means it is 5 higher than you. For each 10 ft distance you get a +1 bonus, meaning it spots you as you reach a distance of 50 ft.
However fret not. You still won initiative and can go first. since you have a speed of 40 you can do a charge attack of up to 80 ft. You do this and run straight at the zombie and make a targeted head shot. The smaller target means -4 to the attack while the charge gives you a +2 on the attack. Your own attack modifier is +1 meaning you have to hit with an overall bonus of -1. Unfortunately you rolled an 8 which is not enough to hit the zombie (at least hit it in a way that hurts the zombie. In this system tough skin or armor can harmlessly deflect an attack, preventing it from connecting. So while technically you have hit (touched) the zombie you failed to land the blow in a meaningful manner.)

So far so good for the rules, here comes the fluff describing the scene.


The group spreads out a little and lets Taras attempt a melee attack. Everyone is happy it isn't them that has to go near that creature. Taras is doing well at first, but as she enters the bridge there is no more cover to hide in. And while she tries to get closer the zombie dog suddenly turns his head. It may have been involuntary spastic movement or it may have been intentional, it is hard to tell.
Luckily Zombies are slow to react. Taras manages to sprint up to the zombie and wants to deliver a crushing blow to the head. However, in the last moment the zombie makes an unexpected motion and the hammer misses only by an inch and instead hits the shoulder, which does not seem to impress this creature at all. In fact it feels strangely rubbery and elastic and the hammer bounces off.

Now that Khzhak has acted it is Inazuma's turn followed by Bastion then Demise.
Bastion and Demise: You can post your reactions to this event even when Inazuma has not posted yet. I will simply handle Ina's response first and then yours.
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
She looks perplexed, and says "Huh...rubbery?" as she regains her bearings, and...that's about all she has time for, before her buddies do the following.

((OOC: I posted that under the assumption of certain free actions being available.  Stuff like saying 'get him between us' to get flanking more easily, for instance, might be one example.  I didn't say that here, and flanking with guns...well, don't miss. ))
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
You can still take free actions like talking a few words. However you still said wanted to attack thus I handled it like that.
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
(( OOC: OK ^_^ ))
RileyHyena
4 years, 12 months ago
Inazuma crouches down and steadies his breath as he takes aim at the zombie's head, he squeezes the trigger and lets the bullet fly.
ProjectDemise
4 years, 12 months ago
Demise swings at the back of its neck in an attempt to paralyze it.
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
By the time you'd get your attack the zombie is dead already. By the way. What do you mean neck? Did you want to make a headshot?
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
Even though it was close Inazuma manages to score a hit (10 + 5 +2 for scope - 4 for headshot) and deals double damage. 6d6 = 19 damage which is enough to kill the zombie in one shot. Blood flies around hitting Taras, however she is too well protected to have a chance of an infection.
As Demise prepares for an attack the zombie is already dead and was spared the spray of zombie brains.

Here is an additional note, since I noticed all attacks so far were basically headshots:
Headshots are more difficult than normal attacks and it is not trivial hitting a zombie despite their slow movement (I would estimate a 45-50% chance to hit for an average player that has not focused on fighting). Making that a headshot drops your chance to 25-30%. So statistically you gain nothing DPS wise (half hit chance and double damage cancel each other out).
So always consider when you want to headshot or not (especially for ranged weapons as bullets are rare). For ranged weapons I recommend taking time to aim for an extra bonus to hit.
For melee weapons flanking position or charge attacks give a bonus.

Demise and Taras make a fortitude save against the foul smell to avoid becomming sickened. Taras makes her save (16+2) while Demise does not (5+3).


After Taras failed to connect her attack, Inazuma took a risky shot which turned the zombie's head into an ugly green and red mess. Zombie blood and bits of brain and bone splatter all over the red unicorn. Luckily her clothes prevent the worst.
The smell however is awful. While Taras can shake the bad smell off, Demise turns as green as his t-shirt for a few minutes. However he does manage not to throw up and a few minutes of fresh air cure him of the uneasiness.

Afterwards you leave the zombie corpse behind (you have the option to search the corpse of course) and get back on track.
You pass by a reasonable sized bungalow and more small houses as you follow the cost. Cars litter the street and while it is no problem on foot, it would have been quite annoying with a car.

Then you reach the main road "Wagramer Straße". Again the quiet and the hundreds of empty cars just standing around makes for an eerie view (you see a few of the cars here marked but not many).
As you glance down to your left you see the large VIC (Vienna International Center. Even from this distance you can see that some of the windows have been broken (even high up) and there are lots of police cars and vans stranded in front of it.
No other zombies in sight so far.
RileyHyena
4 years, 12 months ago
(OOC: Damn right I went to hit the head! If it was further I would've aimed center mass and hoped to slow it enough for Demise but at such short range it was better to dispatch the beast quickly.)

After checking on Taras and Demise, Inazuma looks around carefully hoping to find a spare bullet or two in one of the police vehicles.
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
As you run down the street towards the building (it is still quite far away) you can see more details of the building. What you see is that the entrances have been barricaded. Usually a sign that someone is hiding inside. But here it looks like the barricades were made to keep something inside rather than the other way around.

You search the cars but someone already had the idea and you don't find any weapons or other useful items. However wedged between the seats you find a half empty magazine with 4 bullets in it (good foraging roll ^^)
RileyHyena
4 years, 12 months ago
The black wolf thanks his lucky stars as he counts his bullets up, "10 shots." He says with a little laugh in his voice, "Never would've thought I'd be happy to have just 10 shots." Realizing he was talking to himself he catches up with the group.
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
" SenGrisane wrote:
As you run down the street towards the building (it is still quite far away) you can see more details of the building. What you see is that the entrances have been barricaded. Usually a sign that someone is hiding inside. But here it looks like the barricades were made to keep something inside rather than the other way around.

((OOC: Which building is this? ))
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
She glances around for a cleaner-than-she-is anything remotely absorbent to get the excess blood off of her.  after doing that, and cleaning herself up as best as she can considering the circumstances, she continues on, holding her gore-smeared hammer in her hand, not up her sleeve, as that might give an infection chance she doesn't want to risk taking.

((OOC: was the dog more rubbery-feeling than zombies usually feel?  or do I not have a first-hand reference for that?  also, head shot to-hit penalties aside, I'm guessing I wouldn't've hit anywhere on it with a standard melee attack, with a roll like that.  and I was fully expecting that -4 to hit a headshot, I have no problems with it. ))
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
Actually you would have missed even without a headshot (was close though). Just because it is a zombie does not mean it is easy to hit. Don't forget this is an abstract system where armor factors into your chance to hit. And since you took the "Survived Bite" bonus I will allow that you had experience beforehand. That rubbery feeling seems normal. The bones and muscles seem to have changed their consistency and thus attacks bounce off. Attacks with sharp weapons (knifes for example) work better against them. Why do you think I mentioned you can do different types of damage (blunt & piercing) with your hammer? :3
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
((OOC: hmm...ok, noted.  I know what my nest test is gonna be *rubs paws together evilly* ))
ProjectDemise
4 years, 12 months ago
(OOC: I was attempting to clock the sucker on the back of the neck.  With a good blow, I might've been able to snap its neck, rendering its body paralyzed, making it much easier to dispatch.)

Demise examines some of the abandoned cars in the vicinity, checking for abandoned food and gas tanks that aren't empty.
Bastion
4 years, 12 months ago
((OOC: sorry for the long delay... computer fried. i have a question tough, can i add a non playable character that is not even alive? X3 just to make a dramatic entrance?))
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
That depends on what it is.
Bastion
4 years, 12 months ago
(basially, one guy, me trying to revive him  through cpr and failing, wanted to  make this fun xP)
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
(Well. If you like. Would that also mean you were not part of the colony and would just now join them?)
Bastion
4 years, 12 months ago
(my idea was to be part of a group that god raided by zombies a week or two ago. starving and scared X3)
SenGrisane
4 years, 12 months ago
You can find many cars that still have gas in them. As well as a few bags of chips and sweets (5 non-nutritial food units)
ProjectDemise
4 years, 12 months ago
Demise takes the food supplies and stores it away, then catches up with the rest of the group.

(OOC: Are we going to level up while playing or are our stats fixed permanently?)
SenGrisane
4 years, 11 months ago
You get new skill points and stuff after each mission
Khzhak
4 years, 12 months ago
" SenGrisane wrote:

As you glance down to your left you see the large VIC (Vienna International Center. Even from this distance you can see that some of the windows have been broken (even high up) and there are lots of police cars and vans stranded in front of it.
No other zombies in sight so far.

((OOC: Oh, this building. ))

She looks at the building from where she first saw it, and moves laterally in relation to it a little, to see a bit more of it at first.  Motioning whoever is close within whispering distance, ((OOC: Or the next one to post.... )) "Hey, is it just me, or does it look like that place has been barricaded from the outside...?"
RileyHyena
4 years, 12 months ago
Inazuma looks at the barricades on the building and nods in agreement.
ProjectDemise
4 years, 11 months ago
Demise nods as well.  "Bad idea, goin' in there."
Khzhak
4 years, 11 months ago
She nods, and after a moment, "OK then, we're not going in there."  She starts looking for other places nearby that look less ominous.
ProjectDemise
4 years, 11 months ago
Demise checks the abandoned police cars for supplies.
Bastion
4 years, 11 months ago
Spike is  scavenging some of the cars near the VIC, his hands moving seats and doors as quietly as possible, trying to not attract attention to himself, with his tiny and scrawny frame, the mouse had learned to never assume  he can take one of those monsters, in his backpack are some minor supplies, nothing usefull at this point,  right when he's trying to find something usefull on an abandoned  ambulance the mouse hears some footsteps coming to him, he quickly gets ina nd closes the doors, trying to not get the attention of anything that might be out there.
Khzhak
4 years, 11 months ago
((OOC: abandoned ambulance?  just the thing survivors are looking for, you mean?  I predict our doctor friend is gonna find a big ol' scaredy mouse.... ))
Bastion
4 years, 11 months ago
(( OOC: a squishy mage yes, and no nothing usefull there, just needed something very well put to include myself :D))
Khzhak
4 years, 11 months ago
(( new messages below ))
SenGrisane
4 years, 11 months ago
The ambulance has been scrubbed clean and there is nothing left of value.
SenGrisane
4 years, 11 months ago
Apart from the single bullets Inazuma found there is nothing interesting left.
EmmetEarwax
4 years, 11 months ago
Nothing is said about the situation outside Vienna. I fear that the world in general is infected, or some help would arrive !

I've been to Vienna,but other than the main railroad station, the main art museum, and a major avenue,and 2 hotels [we had to arrive from Venice a day early due to an imminent transportation strike (neither side would reconsider, and the threat persisted) and,unable to get our hotel reservation extended back 1 day, spent the night at a pension, and checked into our planned hotel the next day] my memory is dim.

I also take it that technology has collapsed, or some savants would capture and secure 1 or more zombies, to (1) study them for defenses against them, (2) determine how long it would take to die of starvation a second time (to estimate the time it would take for the zombie population to die out from no prey (if zombies go cannibalistic, that would shorten the wait for the epidemic to clear.),(3) engineer a cure -even if intelligence, memory & personality can not be restored. Once the epidemic is over, to safely dispose of all remains, lest virus remains to restart the horror.
SenGrisane
4 years, 11 months ago
Excuse me, but why are you posting here? Do you wish to play in the RP as well?
SenGrisane
4 years, 11 months ago
You meet a new survivor in front of the VIC building. It's a mouse and he seems friendly enough. The vehicles in front of the building have been cleaned and do not contain anymore valuable items (except gas).

But as you check the area you notice some strange green stains all over the ground and on some of the cars near the building. And after you spent roughly 15 mins examining the cars you hear strange noises from inside the building that definitely don't sound human.

Stay and investigate, run in panic or get back to the planned route?

(Dang. This thread gets really cluttered. We may have to find a better solution.
Khzhak
4 years, 11 months ago
frowning, the golden horn of the unicorn tilts, as she looks down at the green stains.  "What do you suppose those are," as she indicates them.  "for that matter, those noises sound rather hostile...and they're not coming from that guy," indicating the mouse.  then to him, "you aren't infected, are you?  say something so we know you're still with us."
SenGrisane
4 years, 11 months ago
The mouse does not appear to have any wounds.
ProjectDemise
4 years, 11 months ago
Demise starts moving on quickly, not liking the sounds coming from the quarantined building.
RileyHyena
4 years, 11 months ago
Inazuma shifts uncomfortably, "I'd rather not be here when whatever made those green stains finds its way back."
Khzhak
4 years, 11 months ago
She looks at the mouse, and says "He's uninjured, or seems to be.  But I'm no doctor."
Bastion
4 years, 11 months ago
the mouse snaps out of it and answers "i'm okay, i'm fine.... " the mouse looks up to the quarantine area and swallows "we better move... quick... "
New Comment:
Move reply box to top
Log in or create an account to comment.