The Care Bears
The Confidence Secret
Go wherever you go
Get down to the fall
Or change color
Wings of illusion
It's a bold dream.
As a balloon
In the air, the air
I'm like this
Or maybe jazz
Sound on sound
Much, much more…
What comes out of me
Comes from pleasure
Of wanting to feel
What I can’t have
What makes me
To be what i am
It's like going
Where, no one is
From the high heart
The higher the heart...
And do not pretend
Hide on the look
Ask no more
what to allow
Games of chance
Shadows in the basement
It's a vulgar show
To run away
To be happy
Only at the South Pole
I will not change
From my country
And neither wear blue
Make the sign
Sing a song
In any tone...
Inside the bonbon
There is a liquor more
Go until one day
When at last
In that the sun melts
The wax to the end
From the high heart
The higher the heart...
Make the sign
Sing a song
In any tone...
Inside the bonbon
There is a liquor more
Go until one day
When at last
In that the sun melts
The wax to the end
From the high heart
The higher the heart...
Again the day was dawning, and the little birds were playing out there together with the little stars and little hearts that also lived in the Kingdom of Caring. The coolness of the sunny morning, with the scent of the goodies prepared in the most diverse residences, showed that some were already standing and working.
For some, this was certainly the best time to sleep, as for Bedtime Bear, who was in charge of watching Earth at night, and so slept all day to regain his strength. Or for the baby-bears Tugs and Hugs, that always woke up later, except for the occasions when they would go out with Gram Bear to do something or learn new ways of dealing with life, which was very fun in that place.
But that morning the bed never looked so good and warm to Champ Bear, who still slept soundly, even with the sunlight already hitting his room. Generally he was one of the first to wake up, practice various stretching exercises and a run that was never less than five kilometers, for only then declare yourself ready for the new day. He was not lazy, but for some reason he could not wake up that day.
That was when his heart clock woke up beside his bed. Rarely did he wake up, since the bear always turned it off first, and when it happened to play it was because he forgot to press the button to lock the bell. But was not the case that morning. Between dreams, the young bear soon became aware of what was happening, and as he looked at the dial and saw that it was 7 a.m., he realized he was late.
Jumping out of bed, he hung up the clock, went to the bathroom, and, after a quick shower, ran into the closet where he kept his clothes. There was not much there, since the bears usually walk only with their natural pelage, which in the case of Champ was close to the tangerine. There were only his gym clothes, some clothes to face the cold and some red coats, of which he chose one and dressed quickly. After all, he could not believe he was late...
Finally, he tied his hair with a red band that made him sporty, and kept his forehead dry when he dripped with sweat. He did all this in silence, not wanting to wake his friends. As a teenager, he still had no right to live alone in a cloud home like the adults, having to share the same house with his friends Bright Heart Raccoon, Treat Heart Pig and Cheer Bear. But Champ was almost ready to go into adulthood. In less than a month he would be 18, and would be considered an adult. He would no longer have to be accompanied when he was to perform a dangerous mission on Earth, he would have his own cloud car, his own house, and, best of all, he would take care of his own life. Not that it was bad to have friends worrying about him, since the life of the bears was a care of the other, but he liked the idea of freedom.
He hurried out of the bedroom, bumping into Cheer, Bright Heart and Treat eating breakfast in the kitchen.
- Ah! You late today? - Cheer joked, laughing as usual.
- Good morning to you, too - the bear replied rather earnestly, but then smiled calmly.
- We're seeing something strange today, Champ waking up after all of us – Treat Heart mocked - Has your alarm clock broken? If that's the case, Bright Heart can fix it, or we can throw buckets of cold water on you to wake you up...
Everyone laughed with a heart full of happiness. After all, in the Kingdom of Caring, what prevailed most was happiness and love. Bears had learned early on that their mission on Earth was to help humans who needed help, being lonely, having bad deeds, or having dark thoughts. And usually they were successful at this task.
As weapons, apart from the love they possessed, they had the "Stare," something very special that flowed from their soul in the form of a ray of light, but with the texture of a very strong mist, which totally changed the character of a person struck by him. Generally, bears and cousins used this trick when in dire need, and most of the time only the "sentimental eye" they had in their belly was visible. This was an emblem, almost like a fingerprint, there being no two equal. Each one reflected the best quality of its bearer, but all had the same function: to give a shock of love in which it needed much.
In Champ's case, his emblem was a cup-shaped trophy, with a red heart in the cup area. This symbolized his best quality, which was to never give up and always be a winner, even when he lost a competition, something very rare to occur.
Champ could not stay long at breakfast, and he apologized to his friends when he hurriedly ate a toast with strawberry jelly and prepared to leave.
- That's what happens when you wake up late - Treat said mockingly – Can’t you have breakfast in peace?
- Not now - he said - I combined with Confidence Heart to train with her at seven thirty, and I do not want to be late.
- Confidence Heart? - asked Cheer sternly, frowning - Train what with her?
- Martial arts. What else could it be, since she only thinks of karate?
- I do not know... I just think it's not cool for a bear or cousin to use such a violent device during a caring mission, for example.
- It's just for self-defense, besides being a great exercise. Not to mention that she is my last observer until I complete my adulthood.
- You're lucky - said Bright Heart with some sadness - In less than a month you'll be able to have your own home and live the adventures you want without supervision.
- Well, you in three months will also make birthday - interrupted Treat Heart, smiling at his friend - Not to mention that Champ is not lucky, only Good Luck Bear that is.
- Well, I can't stay any longer, I'm leaving - said the bear hurriedly - If anyone looks for me, say I'll be in the gym.
And he left cheerfully as Cheer followed him with a serious look. In those hours, not even her rainbow badge on her belly would help her rejoice, she did not like the closeness of Champ with Confidence.
The young sportsman rushed to the Care-a-Lot gym, which was the name of the village where the bears lived, and which was a part of the Kingdom of Caring. Along the way, Champ met with Friend Bear and Secret Bear, two bears that always walked together and formed a special pair to deal with humans, as well as with Grams Bear and his grandchildren Tugs and Hugs, going to plant flowers in the Forest of Feelings.
This was a close place, and it was where the cousins of the bears lived. It was a magical place and beautiful, but much unexplored. Not even Brave Heart Lion and Noble Heart Horse knew the place completely. The only one who could boast about knowing the forest like the palm of his hands was Sparkling Heart Wolf, who preferred to live alone there so he could study better on sea currents, astrolabes and other nautical equipment, and have them improved to aid navigation. Thus, it was not uncommon for Care Bears Family to have surprises coming from the Forest of Feelings.
But the biggest surprise they found there was only a few months earlier, when Nobleheart, Braveheart, Grumpy, Friend and Secret found a fennec fox called Confidence Heart. She explained that she had lived in the forest for some time, since her brother had died in an accident on the Earth. This surprised all the villagers, since Nobleheart and Trueheart, who were the patriarchs of the family, always said that there were no other Care Bear besides those who lived in the Kingdom of Caring and the Panda brothers who inhabited the Paradise Valley. They said that, even though they knew it was not the absolute truth. But they both knew that was not true.
It's okay that Confidence was not the first to come to the Kingdom of Caring during all those years, there was also Aqua Bear, Lonesomeheart Bear, Redemption Bear, Shimmeringstar Bear and Sky-Heart Bear. The first two were born in Alaska and Canada, respectively, before their families were killed by hunters, and after several incidents they were saved by a friend named Mel'feir who created them and managed to get them to Care-a-Lot. Next to them was Redemption, who had also been born on Earth and had been raised as a normal child by a nurse named Audrianna, until the day that this human had been murdered, and the bear sold as a wild animal to the same person who bought Aqua and Lone. Shimmers had a great story to tell, because he was born human, saw his parents murdered when he was still a teenager and, taken by No Heart as an apprentice to destroy Care Bear Family using various magical powers that he did not know to possess, he ended up repenting and integrating himself into the Family, including becoming a bear after a wish from his girlfriend, Wish Bear. As for Sky-Heart, he lived in another dimension, in a world called Edron, where he was found by Shimmers being discovered that he was an original bear and had relations of kinship and descent with the bears and cousins who live on Earth, where he came to live.
Although there were no more discussions between these five and the rest of the Care Bear Family, the difficult period of adaptation of those members to the Kingdom of Caring's lifestyle was perhaps one of the reasons that made the majority look at Confidence with concern. Moreover, the fact that the fennec generally did not seek a stronger rapprochement with the others also caused strangeness, especially in the early days. Fortunately, no one was deeply opposed to receiving the fennec in the Family, and as time passed they became accustomed to the presence of the new friend. With his long hair, bright green eyes, light beige fur as the sand of the beaches, and the emblem of a blue ribbon medal with a heart adorning the number 1 in the belly, Confidence could sometimes be sarcastic with others, even something dry when she spoke, but gradually she showed a great sense of humor and collective friendship.
This was demonstrated even more when it came to sports. His forte was karate. She was very skilled in this martial art, not to say invincible. And her fondness for sports made her a perfect opponent especially for Champ, and the two always competed for all the competitions that were there, in a friendly and unchallenged way. This made them become great friends, since even stubbornness and persistence brought them closer.
Another motive that might have hurt the desert fox in its early days had been the strange fact that it she already had a badge on its belly as soon as it arrived, and its explanation that the Great Wishing Star had given that symbol to her. According to Nobleheart and Trueheart, the founders of the Care Bears Family, if there were other bears and cousins outside the Kingdom of Caring, none of them could have a "Stare", since only Care Bears Family could give them that gift, as occurred with Aqua, Lonesomeheart, Redemption and Shimmers himself. Only Sky-Heart was a well-justified exception. But all these things did not bother Champ at that moment. For him, it mattered only that he had won a new friend who liked sports as much as he did. And the points in common between the two made Trueheart and Nobleheart choose her to be the bear's last observer, even though she came from outside the community and had almost no experience like Care Bear Cousin.
And it was to find her that the young bear came running through the gymnasium, ample place that was built for the fun and practice of sports of the population, but that generally was not used much, only by him and by Swift Heart Rabbit, the best runner of the place. On the court, the fox was already waiting for his training partner, sitting on the floor and wearing a kimono around his body. Confidence smiled and stood up at the sight of Champ approaching.
- I thought you'd given up on training - she commented, hugging his friend - After all the falls you took last time...
- None of this, I only was just late - he said happily - And I would not miss the chance of a rematch with you for nothing.
- Then go get dressed so we can start the training - Confidence concluded, watching his friend go into the locker room.
- Arghh! Noble, I'm naked! - Trueheart shouted, covering herself as best he could.
- SS-Sorry! - he said, closing the door, a smile on his face. After all, it had been a long time since Nobleheart had seen his wife that way. Since all the cubs were under their responsibilities, the couple could no longer have privacy or calmness to deal with the feelings of love between husband and wife. That's why he was so happy when he realized how still his pretty wife was.
A few moments later, the door opened and Trueheart left with an angry expression and hands on his waist.
- Did not you learn that you need to knock on the door before you enter? - she asked.
- And since when can’t I go into the bedroom this and find my wife at ease? - Nobleheart replied - I've seen you naked before...
- But Noble, that was a long time ago. Not to mention you could be with Grumpy or another bear.
- What do I have now? - asked the bear, who had a dark blue pelage and his symbol was a raining cloud, reflecting his usual moodiness, being that he had just entered the house - It seems as if I heard you speaking my name...
- Nothing, my son - replied the female bear - Only I and Noble are in a friendly discussion as a couple.
- Discussion you wanted to get in - Nobleheart said with a smile - But what do you want, my son?
- Braveheart asked to tell him he wants to talk to you two, and it's urgent.
The couple looked at each other quickly, Trueheart with a face of relief and Nobleheart with a sulky face. Again duty hampered their relationship. With a resigned sigh, he followed in silence the adopted son and the wife to meet the lion.
- Go! - Confidence shouted, starting the fight.
Champ managed to get away from her friend's kick in the same instant as he tried to grab her by the arms. With a quick movement, he caught the left arm her, while she turned and braided his leg around his, knocking him to the ground, where the fight continued fierce, since Confidence twisted one of the bear's arms back, while he tried to grab the girl's legs to keep the battle balanced.
But the young fox was much more experienced and strong, and quickly grabbed Champ's other arm, immobilizing him, before giving a somersault with the bear on the floor, which showed he that he had lost the fight once more.
- Enough! Enough! - he shouted, motioning for her friend to stop.
Quickly Confidence released the bear and walked away with a small smile on his face while his friend lay stretched on the floor, breathing deeply and not believing he had lost to the fox once again. Awkward, and irritated with himself, he stood up and fulfilled the Eastern ritual of greeting the opponent after the fight, winning or losing.
- You really know how to fight - said the bear with some reserve - I can't beat you, no matter how hard I try.
- It's just a matter of practice, my dear friend - Confidence replied with a touch of malice - Not to mention that you fight very well, but not enough to defeat a karate master like me, since I took years to specialize.
- Has anyone ever told you that you're very confident and arrogant?
- Of course, and I love to hear it. Do you want to try again?
Champ opened his mouth to respond as the door to the gym opened and Nobleheart, Trueheart, Grumpy, and Braveheart Lion came in, all of them looking urgent.
- Ah! Glad we found you two - the lion began - You're the ones we needed for this mission.
- What mission? - asked the fox, looking at the four newcomers.
- There's a kid on the Earth who needs our help, and we think the best ones who could do this are you and Champ - Noble explained -If you can come with us... I mean, after you change your clothes.
In less than five minutes the two sportsmen had already run into the locker room and changed. Champ put on his red jacket, while Confidence just took off his kimono. Rarely did she wear clothes other than her own pelage, except to go to cold places. Accompanying their friends, they reached the Kingdom of Caring observatory, where the bears watched the world below with their star-o-cope, and where was the caring meter, a device that controlled the affection on earth. There they found the bears Friend and Secret, taking care of the place.
- So, how's it going? - Braveheart asked the first, who was watching something.
- Shimmers and Wish have finished a mission right now, while Good Luck and Sweet Heart are working on another one - said Friend Bear staring in the star-o-cope, the special lunette worn by bears and cousins to watch over the world - That way, the caring meter is keeping balanced, and if everything goes well for Champ and Confidence, then the day will have been quiet...
At this they saw Secret Bear make a gesture for Friend to approach him, because he wanted to whisper something in his ear. Secret never spoke aloud, only by signs and whispers, which is a part of her reserved nature.
- Oh, Secret Bear remembered well - continued Friend - Have you explained the mission to Champ and Confidence?
- Let's do it now - said Trueheart, motioning for the pair of athletes to watch through the star-o-cope.
As soon as they set eyes on the apparatus, facing south-east Brazil, they saw a young boy, with black hair, white skin and brown eyes, sitting in the backyard of a house, looking sad and depressed. He wore a team uniform, although it was not possible to identify which sport he practiced.
- This is Hector, he is a sportsman, captain of the FIFA soccer team of his class in the school - Trueheart began to explain - He just lost a match, and his friends are blaming him for it, since it is the fourth game followed that they lose. He has no one to talk to, since his father works hard and has little time for his son, even though he seems very loving to him.
- It's your job to go there and help him as best you can, and if possible talk to his father too - Nobleheart said without much emotion, but forcing his smile - We could send only Champ, but...
- But what? - asked the sportsman bear.
- This mission is not only to make the boy apologize to his friends and vice versa, but also needs to regain his self-confidence in sports, which could take days - Friend explained to them - And who better to handle this than Confidence Heart?
- Not to mention that this will be your last mission attended before you're old enough, Champ Bear - Braveheart added, smiling - You are who will command all, while Confidence will only aid when necessary reporting your actions to us, and if you are successful, you it will receive its autonomy.
Champ did not like to know that he would be observed again, after all he felt he was adult enough to do it himself, but he decided not to argue about it. Everyone had already gone through the same situation, and he could bear it once more. In addition, the presence of Confidence pleased him.
- Okay, if there's nothing more to say, we can leave then - the sportsman said quickly - Which cloud car can we use?
- Well, what you teenagers use on their caring missions - Trueheart replied in surprise - Why, what happened to him?
- It's broken.
- How so broken?!? You're responsible for maintaining it!...
- I can only fix it when I find the defect, but in this case I have not found anything. In fact, I said for Grumpy to look at the engine a week ago.
- And I believe he did it, did not he? - Confidence said maliciously to the navy blue bear, who frowned at that.
- How do you guys think I fixed the car if I've been up all week trying to clean the mess Tugs and Hugs did in my garage? - he asked angrily - Make a new cloud car with your Stare!
Everyone sighed at that, of course the car used by the teenagers was not ready. Trueheart shook her head bitterly.
- You know they can’t do that, unless it's for an emergency - she said thoughtfully - Well, if there's no other way, get Grumpy's car here.
- What?!? - Grumpy exclaimed - I'm not going to give my key to this irresponsible driver who has a partner who does not know how to drive.
- I already apologized for having hit your car on that mission... - Champ said.
- Even so, you're a bad driver and...
- Enough! - Confidence shouted - Pass the key of your car now, or else you will be my next "punching bag" in my next workout!
Grumpy stood for a few seconds with his arms crossed before giving a sigh and delivering the key in the hands of the sportsman, listening to the muffled laughter of everyone in front of the scene.
- Now, how about you go fix our car cloud? - Champ mocked for the grumpy - The faster he is ready, the faster you get your car back...
- All me! All me! - shouted the dark blue bear as he walked away from the group.
Everyone laughed for a few moments, before Champ gave a signal for Confidence to follow him in the cloud car, saying goodbye to the others and heading toward the Earth.
- Will everything be all right? - Trueheart asked worriedly to his husband.
- Of course, it's impossible to do something wrong on such a simple mission - he replied with a faint smile, giving the female bear a hug, which snapped off and walked away in silence, to everyone's surprise.
- What happened? - asked the Braveheart with curiosity - Trueheart is in trouble?
- It's nothing, Braveheart - said the horse sadly, also turning away - She's just tired after so many adventures. Now go back to work, because the day is just beginning and we will certainly still have many missions to do...
It was June 4, 1994, a very important date for all Brazilians. Finally was inaugurated the first stretch of FERRONORTE, the most modern railroad in the world at the time. The intention of this line, designed since the beginning of the twentieth century, was to connect the ports of the southeast of that country to the producing regions of the interior. An old dream also of his owner, the Paulista Railway Company, considered the best railway in the world for eight consecutive years. Finally its train, consisting of two modern Dash 9 locomotives with dark blue and cream colors, with the CP interlaced at the sides, and the special passenger train, formed by the famous Pullman’s cars that the company had since the 1950s, finally cut the Brazilian Midwest and became the center of attention in the region.
But to get here the way was arduous. The CPEF, as it was also called, had survived until then as the country's last private railroad company because it had changed ownership in 1960. That year, the McFoller & Uythor Company bought the railroad, and had to struggle to keep it operating, since the interests of the government were others. Fortunately, everything went well, until in 1989 the railroad was bought by the B & H Company, owner of the Araraquara Railroad and the concession of the Northern Brazil Railway, or FERRONORTE. At that moment the three companies were unified into one, with the name and brands of Paulista.
On that day, the FERRONORTE was inaugurating its first 300-kilometer stretch, which had taken four years to complete, between Santa Fe do Sul, in the state of São Paulo, to Alto Araguaia, in Mato Grosso. The line had splendid conditions, capacity for freight trains with up to 120 wagons, at high speeds. Meanwhile, the rest of the CPEF lines were being totally remodeled to accommodate all the expected growth, with more investments in electrification and segregation of passenger transportation, because when the line was inaugurated until Cuiabá the traffic of passengers and cargo would practically double, and the imposing "R" train would connect two state capitals for the first time in its forty years of existence.
The night before, the presidential train had left São Paulo with a "V8" electric locomotive in its command, but in São José do Rio Preto it had been replaced by two Dash-9 diesel-electric locomotives, bought especially for the new line. And so the special train, with ten passenger cars, carrying press, businessmen, politicians and guests, was finally complete. The last luxury car, built a few years earlier in the Rio Claro workshops was reserved at that moment only for the president of the B & H Company, Mr. Frank Heartom, and the railroad director, Jonas de Albuquerque, who were talking animatedly.
Extraordinary man was that Frank Heartom. He was tall, thin, liked to dress well, had brown eyes almost hidden beneath thick eyebrows white as snow. The little hair he had was also white, but his joviality was remarkable. His age seemed to be between 70 and 75 years old, but in reality he was 90 years old, and he was the only one who had been alive since the time the company was based on the small and now uninhabited island of San Martin, in the Caribbean Sea, a place as mysterious as that old business man who had dedicated his life to his company seven decades ago.
His way of thinking and acting was more of a philanthropist than of a capitalist, however he managed to make his B & H Company the third largest industrial conglomerate in the world. He did not save money to invest in the workers, in their families and even in their cities. In certain places and occasions, B & H's word was more powerful than that of governments and organizations of world peace and trade. He was against tyranny, against wars, against popular uprising and against corruption, and totally in favor of the capitalist system provided that conditions were given for all to fight for better lives. So much so that at a time when big business owners often sold themselves to governments or competitors, he was one of the few whose name had never been involved in any kind of scandal.
But he was not thinking about it that day. He just sat there, staring out the large rear window of the car as he watched the railroad tracks drift away due to the optical illusion, while Jonas calmly talked about state policy and the benefits of the inauguration of FERRONORTE.
- Certainly a lot will change in our relationship with Brazilian politicians and businessmen - said the director - Especially after this first stretch of the railway was inaugurated, something that they have all been waiting for many years.
- I do not worry about the opinion of politicians or businessmen, but about the public opinion, with the normal people - Frank said - It is no use for politicians and businessmen to be in favor of one thing if the population is against it. That's why I want to put the passenger train between Santa Fe do Sul and Alto Araguaia to run, precisely to show people that we care about them.
- Passenger trains on a railroad that was specially designed for loads? I do not think the other shareholders will approve this.
- Our company is a majority shareholder in FERRONORTE, so they don't approve or disapprove anything without B & H's stamp. Moreover, all the profit we will have with freight transport will greatly cover the cost of passenger trains. And this always generates social visibility and new business opportunities. You should have already learned about it.
At that moment someone knocked on the door, and moments later came the figure of Elizabeth, secretary of the international board and old friend of Frank.
- I'm sorry to bother you, but Mr. James wants to see you - she said.
- Ah! Ask him to come - Frank said cheerfully.
Moments later, came the figure of the company's vice president, tall man and young, with dark hair, black mustache and a beard trimmed. He wore a dark gray suit and a blue tie, the same color as his eyes, which shone with sincerity and the will to learn. James Crevell was his name, and his age was about 38 years. He was Frank's natural substitute in the company, but the CEO always said that the young entrepreneur still had a long way to go before learning all the secrets of that company.
James closed the door behind him, and smiled to see his friend sitting in one of the comfortable armchairs of the car.
- Don't you think you're too old to attend inaugurations? - he asked - Last week was in Bangalore, and three days ago in Buenos Aires. You should get some rest; after all, you're not as young as before...
- I'll have all eternity to rest when it's time, my friend - the President replied, smiling, standing up and walking slowly toward James - But as long my physique is regularly strong, my mind is healthy and I can sign my papers, I'lI will be at all inaugurations and festivities of our company and related companies. This is important to me. Old age isn't something physical, it's a state of mind. I'm as old as I want.
- It's certainly one of the reasons we've always had a good dialogue with the labor unions - Jonas remarked - I remember when those Indigenous interdicted the entrance of the pulp mill in the Amazon and you went there to negotiate with them personally. Or when the Mexican government expropriated the car factory in that country and you recovered it thanks to popular pressure and the unions, who wanted B & H as the owner and not the government.
- This really is a rare thing to happen, a labor union supporting a private company - James said playfully, with a chuckle - But it is no rarer than Frank here explaining what the letter "B" means in the company name. Why don't you tell us now, since we're alone?
- You always come back to that. B & H is a fantasy name; you know it in the records it's written as Heartom Development Company.
- But even though it's a fantasy name, B has to mean something. You did not choose this letter just because you think it's beautiful or by superstition. What is the real reason?
At that moment the door was opened violently, and Fred Ainstée, the old man's personal secretary, came grunting and frowning.
I loathe these doors with pressure knob... - he began, before turning toward his companions - Mr. Frank, we've already reached Alto Araguaia.
- Excellent! - Frank exclaimed, with a sure sigh of relief at having the conversation interrupted - Let's take care of attending the event now. C’mon!
At that moment, the CPEF Dash locomotive pair entered the Alto Araguaia courtyard at more than 70 kilometers per hour. The railway yard was large, with nine lines, six terminals and two reversal pears, as well as two lines that served the regional railway station, a small structure, but following the style of the other small and modern stations of the São Paulo company.
The train stopped short, while the musical band of Paulista played the company's anthem, in addition to the national, state and municipal anthems, and a rain of fireworks celebrated the official inauguration of the line. Another flurry of fireworks occurred just as Frank signed an agreement on behalf of B & H, authorizing the release of US$ 50 million to leave the small town of Alto Araguaia with 100% sanitary sewage and plumbing of drinking water.
- 50 millions?!? And what will this work bring back to us? - James asked for Jonas at a certain moment of the party - Where does profit come in?
- Theoretically, in the fact that with treated sewage and water, there will be fewer illnesses, and the workers will work happier and healthy - summed up the director of the railroad - But only between us, I can't understand Frank either. He‘s a convinced capitalist, he only invests in something if he knows he will bring returns. And at the same time, he is a philanthropist who likes to help everyone in need. Controversial, is not it?
- It would be so good if one day he would trust us to tell his secrets, explaining the reasons for his procedures... But speaking of this, where is he?
Frank had really disappeared from the sight of his friends, who soon began to look for him. They were not particularly concerned about kidnapping, as security had been reinforced by the presence of the state governor and other authorities, but the fact that he was already a nonagenarian and might have had complications with something concerning his health.
In fact, the old man was in his cabin in one of the two sleepy car on the train. After closing the windows and locking the door, he took his briefcase from under the bed and unlocked it, staring at its contents for a moment.
- How I wanted you to be here... - he murmured to himself, eyes filled with tears and a sad smile, before closing the valise and returning to the party, only claiming to have gone to the bathroom and fleeing from any other explanation.