Sometimes, many conflicting forces and privileged demands assault my sense, reason, and meager vestige of human compassion at once. When this happens, I can become very hostile to large groups of people on the grounds that no honest response I can make when ordered on the spot to respond to some controversial nonsense is sufficient to satisfy the selfish masses, and I hate people anyway so fuck 'em all I say.
The only way for me to respectfully accept something affected by this faux controversy, such as the hornet's nest of LGBT, is to step away from everyone else and sort out what my private thoughts on the matter are, uninterrupted by any misanthropic vitriol against interjecting buffoons.
I made the concept of this gender web just about exactly one year ago and forgot all about it. I lost faith in it due to both my terrible memory making me forget I ever made it, and my 100% conviction that it would be discarded as hateful garbage because it doesn't honor Tumblr's retarded pretend genders or their tyrannical self-serving, My Way Or The Highway delusions on how gender works.
I am now reviving it with some amendments, and anyone who thinks me hateful for putting the effort into making, remaking, and explaining this will have the honor of being the first person of the "boot" gender, for that is what shall replace their crotches.
Gender vs. gender identity
The first thing we must make clear is that gender and gender identity are separate things.
The state of a person's body right at this second is their gender. This is primarily defined by:
- The genitals (including whether the species normally has testicles) - The breasts (if the species normally has those)
For various reasons, we do not heavily consider face, body shape, or voice properties when considering gender.
A person's gender identity may and does freely ignore all of this regardless of whether the person accepts what their bodily gender is. The most obvious example in Elae Meltaea is that the vast majority of hermaphrodites (who also happen to be effeminate) count as "girls" and prefer to be treated as such in most social contexts. They are not, however, female, and if they are not hiding their gender outright (due to fear of abuse etc.) they are usually not offended by being respectfully recognized as hermaphroditic.
There is a possibility that a future character will behave and identify as a girl while being male. (Either that or a femboy.) Don't worry s/he will be pretty and cool. Look sharp!
While any character or person may be placed at any discrete point on the web between two or three icons (hence why a grid is there), the five icons on the gender web represent the basic genders from which all others are defined:
- Left: Male - Right: Female - Top: Hermaphrodite (has all privies and, if the female has them, breasts) - Middle: Intersex (has some male and female sex traits but not all of either) - Bottom: Genderless (has a butthole and that's about it)
This is arranged such that genders on the left are more masculine while those on the right are more feminine, and those on the bottom are more genderless while those on the top are less so.
For hermaphrodite, I have chosen the symbol of Mercury - while this is normally used only in botany, it is also the Roman equivalent of the Greek god Hermes, who by Aphrodite fathered Hermaphroditus. As such, the better-known "male+female" icon has been scooted down to Intersex.
Other genders may be derived by being placed between these basic genders:
- Between male and hermaphrodite, Male intersex: Has all boy parts and some female traits such as breasts (e.g. "dickgirl".)
- Between female and hermaphrodite, Female intersex: Has all female parts and a few boy parts.
- Between male and intersex, Masculine intersex: Doesn't have all of either gender, but has more boy parts than girl parts.
- Between female and intersex, Effeminate intersex: Doesn't have all of either gender, but has more girl parts than boy parts (e.g. "cuntboy".)
- Between genderless and male, Masculine genderless: Partial male or no genitals.
- Between genderless and female, Effeminate genderless: Partial female or no genitals and/or breasts.