Welcome to Inkbunny...
Allowed ratings
To view member-only content, create an account. ( Hide )
dmfalk

Mmmmmyep.....

by
Yes, I'm still alive.... Been busy the last couple weeks...

Decided that I will post my (occasional) nanofiction & poems I've been posting in these journals as submissions....

As for my goals (see journal), nothing yet.... :P

Back to your regularly-scheduled Inkbunny.... :)

d.m.f.
Viewed: 12 times
Added: 5 years, 6 months ago
 
CyberCornEntropic
5 years, 6 months ago
Life is like a working hospital.  You need patients to get through it. :o

Question: What are your going rates for commissions?  As an example, what would, say, $20.00 net me?
dmfalk
5 years, 6 months ago
A story. :)

Not as long, probably, as "Marta's Song" or "Lost in the Stars"-- Truth is, I never know how long a story's going to be, or how involved, because I write them entirely on the fly, no planning, no drafts, and I usually take 2-7 hours, on average, to write one, so I have no idea what to charge- Maybe $20-25 per story of about "average" complexity, with degree of complexity in the request adding another $10-25, if greater than what an average story might have.

d.m.f.
CyberCornEntropic
5 years, 6 months ago
I figured $20 would get me a story. :p Obviously, not a long one, but a story nevertheless.

My thoughts were that I'd simply point you towards my gallery and have you pick something that you wanted to write about.  Maybe it's Winterfur.  Maybe My Little Mousie with Ami-Stereo.  Maybe just Sourther squirrel nuttiness.  I wouldn't know.  There would be a few guidelines, like nothing above PG-13 for MLM, for example, but mostly, I'd try to stay out of your way and let you do your thing.

Mind you, this is currently only speculation and wishful thinking.  I also think it would be interesting to commission, well,
Daphinteresting
for MLM art, but I figure, were I to commission, you get priority over her due to you being first in line, so to speak.
dmfalk
5 years, 6 months ago
" CyberCornEntropic wrote:
I figured $20 would get me a story. :p Obviously, not a long one, but a story nevertheless.

My thoughts were that I'd simply point you towards my gallery and have you pick something that you wanted to write about.  Maybe it's Winterfur.  Maybe My Little Mousie with Ami-Stereo.  Maybe just Sourther squirrel nuttiness.  I wouldn't know.  There would be a few guidelines, like nothing above PG-13 for MLM, for example, but mostly, I'd try to stay out of your way and let you do your thing.

Doable. I have a few thoughts, already... Story length is absolutely no guarantee, because of the way I write, so it's moreso the complexity of the request, and so far, what you have in mind would fall under a "normal" complexity, so I don't think I'd charge more than a base price. :)
" Mind you, this is currently only speculation and wishful thinking.  I also think it would be interesting to commission, well,
Daphinteresting
for MLM art, but I figure, were I to commission, you get priority over her due to you being first in line, so to speak.

Heh- I was thinking you'd commission her to draw Amethyst... ;) But as for me, I think it's largely because you've known me, either as myself or as Amy, for a decade now, going back to the GCW forum and all that. :) I'm a "known quantity", and thus an easier risk to commission. :)

d.m.f.
CyberCornEntropic
5 years, 6 months ago
" dmfalk wrote:
Doable. I have a few thoughts, already... Story length is absolutely no guarantee, because of the way I write, so it's moreso the complexity of the request, and so far, what you have in mind would fall under a "normal" complexity, so I don't think I'd charge more than a base price. :)

Sounds good to me.  As for the few thoughts you already have, even if I don't end up commissioning you, I'd still say you ought to write them down, even flesh them out.  Of course, just because you've written them doesn't mean you have to share them... ;p


" Heh- I was thinking you'd commission her to draw Amethyst... ;) But as for me, I think it's largely because you've known me, either as myself or as Amy, for a decade now, going back to the GCW forum and all that. :) I'm a "known quantity", and thus an easier risk to commission. :)

Granted, Florita's coloring is reminiscent of Amethyst's, but I think her style fits the MLM crew better.  There's a certain brightness to it that adapts well to a sense of cartoony animation without the sugary tooth-rot associated with it.  As I told her, I do like Lisa Frank's art which Interesting's style reminds me of.  Therefore, thanks for pointing her out. :)

As for knowing you for so long, yes, that's part of my reasoning.  Like I said, you're first in line, so would come before her.  Plus, to be blunt and tactless, a commissioned short story would conceivably be cheaper than many an average picture commissions or so it seems to me.
dmfalk
5 years, 6 months ago
" CyberCornEntropic wrote:
" dmfalk wrote:
Doable. I have a few thoughts, already... Story length is absolutely no guarantee, because of the way I write, so it's moreso the complexity of the request, and so far, what you have in mind would fall under a "normal" complexity, so I don't think I'd charge more than a base price. :)

Sounds good to me.  As for the few thoughts you already have, even if I don't end up commissioning you, I'd still say you ought to write them down, even flesh them out.  Of course, just because you've written them doesn't mean you have to share them... ;p

I've had a few ideas, particularly, of Amethyst, being of typical fanservice and humour, but we'll see... Commissioning me would ensure I'd get it done in a timely manner, though, rather than pushed back due to other situations... (ie: "I gotta do this- It takes priority because I was asked to/getting paid to write it...")

"
" Heh- I was thinking you'd commission her to draw Amethyst... ;) But as for me, I think it's largely because you've known me, either as myself or as Amy, for a decade now, going back to the GCW forum and all that. :) I'm a "known quantity", and thus an easier risk to commission. :)

Granted, Florita's coloring is reminiscent of Amethyst's, but I think her style fits the MLM crew better.  There's a certain brightness to it that adapts well to a sense of cartoony animation without the sugary tooth-rot associated with it.  As I told her, I do like Lisa Frank's art which Interesting's style reminds me of.  Therefore, thanks for pointing her out. :)

I'd love to commission her to do Amy... As I would also want
Onzeno
Onzeno
to do Amy, too... Their art styles would work well with her. :)
" As for knowing you for so long, yes, that's part of my reasoning.  Like I said, you're first in line, so would come before her.  Plus, to be blunt and tactless, a commissioned short story would conceivably be cheaper than many an average picture commissions or so it seems to me.

Depends on the artist--
Onzeno
Onzeno
, for one, is only charging $15 for his pics at the mo...
Saucy
Saucy
, I think, is currently doing what she calls a "free art raffle" of sorts-- Commissioner sends info about a character, she chooses who'll be drawn, the winner gets a sketch (sometimes in colour!)... I think it's weekly... I think it's her, or I'm misremembering the journal in my messages... :P But yes, there are some inexpensive artists out there... And some (like
DevoidKiss
DevoidKiss
) who are a bit out of my league, pricewise... :P

Most expensive commission I've bought? A song. It cost me $125. :P Worth it, though....
Music: Amy's Étude by dmfalk


d.m.f.
dmfalk
5 years, 6 months ago
" dmfalk wrote:
Saucy
Saucy
, I think, is currently doing what she calls a "free art raffle" of sorts-- Commissioner sends info about a character, she chooses who'll be drawn, the winner gets a sketch (sometimes in colour!)... I think it's weekly... I think it's her, or I'm misremembering the journal in my messages... :P

Correction:
xichan
xichan
is the one offering the above-mentioned free art "raffle" if sorts.

d.m.f.
CyberCornEntropic
5 years, 6 months ago
" dmfalk wrote:
I've had a few ideas, particularly, of Amethyst, being of typical fanservice and humour, but we'll see... Commissioning me would ensure I'd get it done in a timely manner, though, rather than pushed back due to other situations... (ie: "I gotta do this- It takes priority because I was asked to/getting paid to write it...")

True, or at least, make you feel obligated enough to try to get it done.

Obviously, I don't know what sorts of shenanigans you have in mind for Amethyst, but fanservice and humor would be okay.  She won't do everything of course, but she's more open than the average person.


" Depends on the artist--

Also true.  Currently, though, commissioning is a low priority since I am able to draw if I want a picture badly enough. :p
dmfalk
5 years, 6 months ago
" CyberCornEntropic wrote:
" dmfalk wrote:
I've had a few ideas, particularly, of Amethyst, being of typical fanservice and humour, but we'll see... Commissioning me would ensure I'd get it done in a timely manner, though, rather than pushed back due to other situations... (ie: "I gotta do this- It takes priority because I was asked to/getting paid to write it...")

True, or at least, make you feel obligated enough to try to get it done.

Part of why I want to do commissions-- I need the motivation/incentive to get some things done, particularly writing-- I often feel so unmotivated, because I don't think that many are really all that interested in my stories... :P
" Obviously, I don't know what sorts of shenanigans you have in mind for Amethyst, but fanservice and humor would be okay.  She won't do everything of course, but she's more open than the average person.

She's essentially a fanservice character, so I see plenty of potential for fanservice humour, without needing to resorting to anything really raunchy... :)

"
" Depends on the artist--

Also true.  Currently, though, commissioning is a low priority since I am able to draw if I want a picture badly enough. :p

You do have that advantage over me... :P

d.m.f.
CyberCornEntropic
5 years, 6 months ago
" dmfalk wrote:
She's essentially a fanservice character, so I see plenty of potential for fanservice humour, without needing to resorting to anything really raunchy... :)

Especially since it's currently unclear what sort of limits there are in what she can or won't do.  Some are known, but only a few.


" Part of why I want to do commissions-- I need the motivation/incentive to get some things done, particularly writing-- I often feel so unmotivated, because I don't think that many are really all that interested in my stories... :P...

You do have that advantage over me... :P

Takes time and practice and even then I still need to improve in places.  There's reasons why I don't solicit commissions, most of them unrelated to the art or story.
New Comment:
Move reply box to top
Log in or create an account to comment.