Welcome to Inkbunny...
Allowed ratings
To view member-only content, create an account. ( Hide )
Wolfblade

Eureka!

OKAY, so, apparently, I have been wrong in my understanding of what this whole "dubstep" thing is, with the previous explanation given to me of what "bass drop" means now being clarified. Thanks to
FoxiePanda
FoxiePanda
's patient explanation and clarification of this genre to me, I now have a more full and accurate comprehension of this recent musical trend that I fear I may never quite manage to get on board with.

So, for any other "old guys" (or people with taste) out there who, like me, have been scratching your heads about this whole "dubstep" thing, I can now help shine a light. :D

"Dubstep" is a genre of "music" typically defined by the "bass drop" which is composed using not sounds from musical instruments (real or synthesized), but instead created using the sounds and noises one would normally associate with your electronic devices trying to tell you that something is very, very, very wrong with them. :C

I now have a more vivid image of the dubstep composer's workplace. I imagine a medieval torture chamber, except designed to elicit the equivalent of screams and death noises from your computer, alarm clock, television, or other poor, tragically tormented electronic devices.




*psst, this is mostly in jest, to each their own, no accounting for taste, etc, etc, I'm just poking fun at an interest I don't get, which anyone reading this on a furry cub art site should know that you shouldn't base your enjoyment of something on whether other people understand it or not. ;P
Viewed: 424 times
Added: 6 years, 2 months ago
 
FoxiePanda
6 years, 2 months ago
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
FoxiePanda
6 years, 2 months ago
I counter your video with this...video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOtOTUVHVP8
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
GAWD, it's just NOISE XD

My ears! They Bleed! X_X
AlexReynard
6 years, 2 months ago
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
You call that noise?

http://soundcloud.com/hex-inverter/vcnoiz-a-voltage-co...

From a noise module HexInverter will be offering for SDIYer's in the near future :P
radioardilla
6 years, 2 months ago
I think Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music trumps that simply because it was done by a mainstream artist and got widely released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyF7g-dHO7g

For pure ear bleeding fun though very little can top Merzbow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_aiuMIC1Hg
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Yup, those totally trump things, but I'm going to venture a guess they took longer than an evening to cobble together ^_^ (the vcNOIZ file I linked to is a demo file for some of the capabilities that PCB will have.  I'll be picking a few up off of him when they're ready because... Well, my modular has NO noise sources right now :P )

Interesting bits of noise music you linked to...  Sadly, noise isn't quite my thing (I'll admit, despite checking most of the subforums on MuffWiggler I just can't... withstand the noise section), but sometimes I'm able to listen in and hear things.  Hell, I'll listen to various bits of noise in the day to day world and go "wonder what I could do with that..."
Sabreklaw
6 years, 2 months ago
That made my dog leave the room,and it wasn't even loud!
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
*laughs*  yeah, white noise, especially digitally created noise, tends to bug animals with very sensitive hearing.  The most interesting part of noise though, is that despite it seeming to be useless at first blush, it can be used for all sorts of creative music composing, although it's primarily used for making sounds similar to snare drums
shadycat
6 years, 2 months ago
Agreed. But then, I remember my mom telling me about her father's rage over Elvis Presley's gyrations while performing "Hound Dog" on Ed Sullivan in 1956. She was fifteen. He damn near broke the TV.
This WWI veteran found this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOvUdZgl7vo - the most offensive thing he'd ever seen!
Her own reaction to MTV circa 1986 was not much better.
Perspective...
KodaO
6 years, 2 months ago
wELL THEN--
CashewLou
6 years, 2 months ago
I dunno. Dubstep just wubs me the wrong way.  C:
shadycat
6 years, 2 months ago
*rimshot* ;-)
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
Skrillex.. meh.. how basic...
i leave these here -->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEnaoydUUo
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLojc_YtPm0
and the silliest for the lastest -->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yALEXLXNMpc

^w^
Sabreklaw
6 years, 2 months ago
My guitar amp made sounds like this when it accidently fell off the stage...  
IamRy
6 years, 2 months ago
Dubstep actually isn't all supposed to sound like that. some of it is very calm, actually! this is just the kind of dubstep that skrillex brought to a more popular fan base.

here's an example of a very somber "2-step" style dubstep track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebM1EEMOZqg

but yeah, "all dubstep is WUGHWUGHWUGHDUBWUB" is tantamount to "all metal has screaming vocalists"
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
THIS, this a thousand times.
WagnerMutt
6 years, 2 months ago
Does that mean this is a dubstep?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaH1MpBuREA
RokukeShiba
6 years, 2 months ago
sounds like robots humping :(
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
erobotica... mmMMMmmm
Arithehusky
6 years, 2 months ago
Just gonna... drop this... here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx_vWkv50uk
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
This is completely wrong, even as a joke.

Furthermore, the common "dubstep." most people talk about isn't even dubstep.

I'm sorry but as someone who produces music, even knowing this is in jest, find it vaguely insulting.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the-un'arian-tree <- Dubstep
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Yeah, sadly, what most people refer to as dubstep in this day and age is, sadly... a modified form of the old EDM movement >.<
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Yes, yes.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
What's funny to me?  Even though I hate the terms IDM/EDM/EBM... I actually listen to some of that stuff... well, older stuff anyways, I'm too much of an aggrotech kinda guy.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
:p Not all IDM is bad. So I get that.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
True.  I suppose my main beef with IDM is that it stands for "intelligent dance music", but it only makes me wish that New City Suburbs still existed (New City moved twenty blocks south, but their new location sucks horribly).  New City's the main industrial/goth/punk club in the city I live in (Edmonton, AB, Canada) and I used to be there virtually every Friday a few years ago.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Pick a form of music you think is garbage. That hurts you to hear. If you don't consider any form of music to be garbage, then think of anything at all that you consider without redeeming quality yet is liked by other people for whatever reason.

Now say "I think this is garbage" in your own space and have someone who disagrees take offense by your opinion, or be insulted by it. How valid is their offense?

There are people who think Star Wars is total shit, while others distort their lives with their fanboying of it.

People like what they like and hate what they hate. Whatever the reasons, or if it's just simply preference, nobody should take offense or be insulted by someone simply not sharing their tastes. I'll sometimes facetiously say stuff like "omg if you don't like 80's music, don't talk to me," but I don't actually mean it literally, nor am I insulted by someone not liking what I like.

As for being a producer of music, well, I make cub art, but if someone expresses their opinion of "cub art is shit, I hate it," I've got no valid claim to take offense or be insulted by that. If they came to my page to say that directly to me, that'd be different of course, but that's the difference between "speaking your opinion" in your own space vs "shoving your opinion onto someone you have good reason to >know< isn't interested in hearing it" in their space.

My opinion of dubstep being brain-melting noise doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you liking it. Just like there's nothing wrong with me liking anything that you might find intolerable. Nor does your background as someone more educated in music mean my personal music tastes are less valid, just as me being a visual artist doesn't mean my tastes in that area are more valid than yours.

Short version: don't stress, dude. Like I said in the journal, I'm just poking fun, and not at anybody personally. I don't like it, and there's nothing wrong with me saying so, just as there's nothing wrong with anyone else having a different opinion. But when people get insulted by stuff like this, that's silly. <:3
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
It wasn't your dislike, it was the complete misinformation regarding the genre and further propagation of that complete misinformation.

I'm sorry, but that's just one of the things that explicitly bothers me, especially when there are people who like the below, come in read five seconds of something make a BS opinion and move on because 90% of people can't get past the first five sentences in basically anything.

Furthermore I don't like what most people consider "dubstep" even remotely, I share the same viewpoint.
But calling that dubstep is simply wrong.

That sir, is what was insulting, and that sir, is what rustled my jimmies.
FlynnRausch
6 years, 2 months ago
Instead of getting your ears in a tangle over something on the internet, why don't you take advantage of a opportunity to explain it, then?
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
I shall!

This is the simplest way I can put this, I think and have people still understand it properly.

Dubstep is classified by its generally Sparse and more often than not Melancholic melodies, based heavily on the underground Genre of 2 Step Garage (Best described as "Electronica for the Rhythmically Challenged."). Dubstep is meant to sound distant, sparse and even "Empty." It inspires feelings of pressure, anxiety and loneliness. It inspires motion, physicality, violence of the heart.

The "Dubstep" that we currently have is loud, obnoxious, and in your face, full of energy. Its become more like hardstyle and other high speed genres.

To put it very simply, its like the difference of comparing Blues, and Hair Metal.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
" SnowTaradien wrote:

This is the simplest way I can put this, I think and have people still understand it properly.

Dubstep is classified by its generally Sparse and more often than not Melancholic melodies, based heavily on the underground Genre of 2 Step Garage (Best described as "Electronica for the Rhythmically Challenged."). Dubstep is meant to sound distant, sparse and even "Empty." It inspires feelings of pressure, anxiety and loneliness. It inspires motion, physicality, violence of the heart.


This does not sound like a description of what I have been told is "dubstep" by any of the people I know talking to me about dubstep or linking me to examples of dubstep (because they like it and are sharing/describing to me something they like, in hopes I will like it too). If my definition of "dubstep" is in error, it is because every fan of dubstep that has tried to expose me to it has been in error.

" The "Dubstep" that we currently have is loud, obnoxious, and in your face, full of energy. Its become more like hardstyle and other high speed genres.


Now, this is a description that seems to fit what I have been told is called "dubstep." You put quotes around it, and your other remarks here, make it clear that what most people are calling dubstep is not something YOU consider to be actual dubstep. What I described in my journal, you say, basically, 'that's not dubstep! That's this other stuff everyone calls dubstep but isn't really dubstep!'

It seems you understand which music I am talking about, and which I am expressing dislike for, and which is what is commonly labeled as "dubstep," but you take offense/insult at my remarks because to you (a person with knowledge and awareness of the genre and sub-genres well beyond what the "average" person is going to have), everything that is being discussed here is not >really< what you feel was originally what was described as "dubstep" and hearing my disparaging remarks about "not-really-dubstep" is insulting if they are applied to "what-really-is-dubstep."

Does that seem about right? That's not sarcasm or snarkiness, that's me trying to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Because that's what I'm getting from you here; "what you're calling dubstep isn't what I call dubstep, and saying what you say about what >you< are calling dubstep is insulting to be said about what >I< am calling dubstep.' It seems you understand what I am referring to, but that I am using an inaccurate label, but then you apply my remarks about A to the B that you say the label is meant to apply to, and then being insulted by that.

If what I hate isn't "really dubstep," and whatever IS actually "dubstep" is something else entirely, then that's fine, but then it's doubly silly for you to be upset and insulted by you applying my derisive remarks to this other thing that in your opinion isn't what I'm talking about.

" To put it very simply, its like the difference of comparing Blues, and Hair Metal.


Then it would be like someone saying "I hate Blues" when what they actually hate is Hair Metal, and a Blues lover pointing this out to them, while also saying they're insulted by the person saying they hate Blues.

Though I think in all honesty and fairness, there is a SIGNIFICANTLY greater and immediately discernible difference between Blues and Hair Metal then there is between all these various sub-genres of techno, as evidenced by the fact that it seems to be a pretty common thing for people >outside< of particular fans of these genres to not be able to tell the difference, while I don't think it is arguable at all that an average person will have much difficulty telling blues and hair metal apart. <:/
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
I apologise for the last comment, I did use a bit of an excessive Hyperbole. The kind of error that impales my own argument through the heart.

A more correct analogy would be the difference between, say The Backstreet Boys, and One Direction.
That said, the difference in feel and Purpose between them IS actually accurate to my original hyperbole.

As to the comments, I should clarify.

"Now, this is a description that seems to fit what I have been told is called "dubstep." You put quotes around it, and your other remarks here, make it clear that what most people are calling dubstep is not something YOU consider to be actual dubstep."

Its less about what most people call dubstep being what I don't consider to be, its about what it was, and what it mutated into.

"It seems you understand which music I am talking about, and which I am expressing dislike for, and which is what is commonly labeled as "dubstep," but you take offense/insult at my remarks because to you (a person with knowledge and awareness of the genre and sub-genres well beyond what the "average" person is going to have), everything that is being discussed here is not >really< what you feel was originally what was described as "dubstep" and hearing my disparaging remarks about "not-really-dubstep" is insulting if they are applied to "what-really-is-dubstep."

Does that seem about right?"

Yes.
That's exactly it.
And the ill informed treat it all as garbage because you are someone they can cling to as being someone whose word is worthy of much stock.

That is why it's a grievance. Its not you, its the effect of what you have said on those unwilling to take the time to see what's actually there and swearing off of something permanently because of the generalization that someone of higher standing in the community made. There IS good there under the same popular name, but the current state of its use is incorrect.

"If what I hate isn't "really dubstep," and whatever IS actually "dubstep" is something else entirely, then that's fine, but then it's doubly silly for you to be upset and insulted by you applying my derisive remarks to this other thing that in your opinion isn't what I'm talking about."

It is silly, and it makes me sound like a total asshat. I know it does.

It just bothers me that we continue to call it dubstep when it's clearly no longer the same genre. Post Dubstep is much more accurate, its a dilution of the original into levels that make it parody.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Yeah, I totally feel your pain there. I cannot count the number of things that USED to be amazing, but have degenerated into a parody of what it once was, yet the horrible parody is so much more known and popular and appreciated by the masses than the actually worthwhile original. >_<

The problem is, you can't fight that by ignoring what the label has come to stand for.

When people say "anime" now, they are referring to what >current< anime is. Most of which I think is crap with rare exceptional gems. But I can't say "anime" and expect people to know that I am talking about the older shit that was (imo) so much better. I look at what anime is today, and I see it being exactly fitting of the description that USED to be used to dismiss anime by people who didn't appreciate it when it was much more and better than their dismissive derisive description of it. Then seeing it devolve to fit the description given by the haters, only to THEN become apparently awesome and "better" in the public perception of the same people who used to ridicule it... I'm sure you see where I'm going, and I feel like this is the same pain you're feeling here on this subject, yes? <:3
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Exactly, exactly to a T!
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
As for people taking stock in my personal opinion, I feel like most of the agreeing comments are people who have already heard dubstep for themself and just share my dislike for it. The one person saying "I will avoid this genre because your description sounds unappealing to me" will avoid stuff labeled as dubstep which will most often be the apparently-incorrectly-labeled wubwub stuff.

Fans of "actual dubstep" who want to distinguish it from what has come to be known as dubstep need to work on propogating a new term to classify and distinguish it from the wubwub stuff.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
I agree, its just hard to find a new name for something when the name has been around for so long! XD
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Sometimes the best you can do when something you like is horribly bastardized and the new mutant abomination of your Cool Thing You Like takes over the label, is to just make a mocking alt name for it, and take solace in the fact that when you say it, at least the people who share your pain will immediately know what you mean.

I grew up liking Transformers. I hate that lots of people now think of the live action movies first when it's mentioned. So fans of "real Transformers" call those Bayformers.

Maybe you should call the not-dubstep Wubstep or something. <:3
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
XD
I'll stick my Subgenres for now, but when talking in public I think I'll use that.
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
i just have to say something about this really..
Beauty and ugliness are not intrinsic values in anything really...
just like likes and dislikes...
they are only relevant values on ones own point of view and perspective, on ones on frame of experience.
one can not really say that some rock/stone is beautifull, as if the beauty of the that rock is something concrete and absolute which could be measured and given a value, which in turn could be verified by others... same goes for ugliness really.
"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is most near the truth that one can say about anything in life really..
both arguments
-dubstep is earmeltin garbage
                and
-dubstep is the greatest thing ever
   are actually valid..
this is basically, and in a nutshell the theory of beauty presented to us by aristotle and plato... and it holds true still, like it did in geece over two millenia ago.
Likes and dislikes can not really be argued against or for with rationality. One can only try and explain what aspects of that certain thing tickles ones fancy, or makes one irritated. And those arguments, no matter what they sound like to others, are always valid.
therefore...
I like some dubstep...
I kinda kinda dislike skrillex...
to me , some dubstep is actually genius, and as a sound engineer i find qualities in the production and sounds that really do tickle my fancy..
I appreciate that fact you really dislike dubstep in all its form
I undesrstand fully the points you have about WHY it does that to you.
And i have no counter arguments, or need to present you with such really..

Just my two cents on this subject really.
(sorry for the bad english)
-Lyser-
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
This,
" Lyserdigi wrote:

both arguments
-dubstep is earmeltin garbage
                and
-dubstep is the greatest thing ever
   are actually valid..
to me , some dubstep is actually genius, and as a sound engineer i find qualities in the production and sounds that really do tickle my fancy..
I appreciate that fact you really dislike dubstep in all its form
Just my two cents on this subject really.
(sorry for the bad english)
-Lyser-


Is exactly right on so many levels, thank you.
Both on a subjective and Objective level.

As someone who views music Objectively first, I can say that the stuff some of them produce are actually amazing feats technically, and are objectively good. In some cases even to the point of being objectively perfect.

The Canadian band, "Rush" for example produced many songs which are mathematically perfect but widely hated on a subjective level.

I likewise loath the sound of Brostep and its cousins, but I recognize that they have grounds in good technical production, and are actually really well made works of art.

Which brings me to my original point though, my jimmies get rustled whenever people generalize "Dubstep" as the PDM that it is known by most as.

Because they are, honestly completely unrelated v-v;

:U Sorry if I've been annoying, its just honestly one of my biggest pet peeves.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
I was in the military. One of the most stupidly trivial things that was made a really really big deal of, was how to do a proper salute. It's such a tiny detail amongst all this stuff they're pumping into people to train them, but there is an absolutely specific and limited "correct" way to make a military salute.

And I've only ever seen it done remotely right in tv/movies like twice, EVER.

Because of my personal experience and knowledge of this particular thing, which is not experience or knowledge any average person is going to have, or should be expected to have awareness of, it is exceptionally grating to me EVERY time I see someone throw a salute in tv or movies when I know that they'd have had their heads chewed off and spit back out if they were actually in the military and had the audacity to call that a salute. I will often make this little bitchfit when it happens, expressing this irritation - and why I have it - to friends who are watching whatever with me (or just go FFFFFFFF when with friends I know I've already told this to). But I do not >actually< take insult or offense to it. It's grating >to me< but I do not expect it to be something that everyone should be equally aware of or frustrated by. It's not something that would be reasonable or justifiable for me to not just gripe about, but to express scorn or derision about the fact of most people not knowing enough to be bothered by it just because I am.

I fully understand how and why you can be so irritated by this point. It's understandable and reasonable. The tone you have when speaking about the fact that most people do not know and care about this as much as you do is not reasonable. You can't expect your personal level of awareness on this particularly niche subject to be common knowledge enough for everyone else to know the fine and subtle distinctions you know. You're aware that everyone calls something "dubstep" in a way you feel to be erroneous. But it's silly to be >actually insulted< by what you should be able to tell is simply a fact of reality. And it's not laziness or any other factor deserving of scorn or contempt that is at play in all these people who simply don't know better.

It's just that what you're bothered by is only of any remote concern to other fans of the subject, and the people frustrating you are people who are not fans and would have no reason to be expected to know anything more than what you yourself admit is the general common perception.

Imagine a Star Wars nerd getting visibly upset and insulted and otherwise bent out of shape at a person who just doesn't like Star Wars (and thus has only enough surface awareness of it to discern they dislike it) getting the names of two secondary or tertiary characters mixed up. That's what this comes across as.

Again, I'm not meaning ANY of this to be insulting to anyone, and while the original journal was mildly snarky, none of my direct responses to you are meant to be so. One of >MY< pet peeves is when people of any particular fandom can't seem to understand that what matters to them, what is important and everyone-should-know-this details to people within that fandom, just really couldn't matter less to people who just don't like that whole fandom/genre/whatever in general, OR, when people get actually seriously insulted just because someone doesn't like something they like. It's silly.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
"It's just that what you're bothered by is only of any remote concern to other fans of the subject, and the people frustrating you are people who are not fans and would have no reason to be expected to know anything more than what you yourself admit is the general common perception.

Imagine a Star Wars nerd getting visibly upset and insulted and otherwise bent out of shape at a person who just doesn't like Star Wars (and thus has only enough surface awareness of it to discern they dislike it) getting the names of two secondary or tertiary characters mixed up. That's what this comes across as. "

Well this right here, this made it for me. I concede, as I was being a little bit over zealous about things.
Thank you for at least responding to me in a logical courteous way, something not done by most who just have their own little bitchfit an block you, after tossing shit like an ape and slinging names.

So, you're right, and I'm glad that I know that you understand where I'm coming from.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Awesome, I am >SO< glad that you understand me, too. X3

And now that you understand where I'm coming from, for the record, I do apologize if you felt insulted by this journal. Like I said, it wasn't my intent, and you ARE correct in that the disclaimer of "I'm just poking fun" is a sign that I was aware >somebody< would probably take offense to it. But then, that was the point of the disclaimer, to let that person know I'm not trying to be offensive, and that they shouldn't be offended by someone having different tastes.

My quip about "or anyone with taste" was also not meant to be personally insulting. I think everyone should understand that taste is personal and preference is inexplicable, so one person's "good taste" will invariably be someone else's "complete crap."

Any time ANY person makes a comment about taste, "good" and "bad" taste should always be read as "my tastes" and "not my tastes," and not taken personally. <:3

I am absolutely certain there MUST be something that I think is just The Best Thing Ever that you would find completely worthless and repulsive. Any horror and shock I would express at such a thing would be purely facetious and playful, I assure you. :3
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Unless you liked the Michael Bay Transformers movies, then dear god, please fly into the sun. >:C




(;P)
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
*chuckles*

Thanks for the lovely chat.
:3
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Likewise. ^_^
Sabreklaw
6 years, 2 months ago
You have offended the prophets of music (peace be upon them).   There will now be riots, protests, and a parade.  :P
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
XD
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
Dubhammed....
CookieWusky
6 years, 2 months ago
AlexReynard
6 years, 2 months ago
I've likened Dubstep to music made out of noise garbage. Everything you'd try to eliminate from 'normal' music takes on a scrapyard golem kind of life. :)

I effing looooove this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38Kjf9sj8o
AlexReynard
6 years, 2 months ago
Also, I love contrast in just about everything, so I just now decided to see if any swing/dubstep existed. I found this. Ohhhhhh gawd that pushes my buttons. Smoothness and sharpness smashing into each other and melding rapturously...
CookieWusky
6 years, 2 months ago
Also! Dubstep also falls under the "Glitch" Genre of music... :P
EricAdler
6 years, 2 months ago
Dubstep just sounds like a variant of Techno to me, and I've never been a fan of Techno.

It's like trying to describe the subtleties of Jalapeño and Habenera  to me.  They both taste like burning, which I interpret as 'do not put this in your mouth again.'

I see Techno as the auditory equivalent of peppers.  
Nibbler
6 years, 2 months ago
Never heard before about Dubstep, and now thanks to this useful links I should avoid it.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
This is NOTHING remotely like dubstep and please do not take it seriously.
fluffdance
6 years, 2 months ago
Kitchen appliances making love.
GlennWulf
6 years, 2 months ago
i'm not too big a fan of dubstep either. the whole "Wubs" thing just isn't "music" to me.
King30
6 years, 2 months ago
I don't like most dubstep but this one is nice in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihwzG5-W8tE
toastedfox
6 years, 2 months ago
this for some reason sounds like a very intellectual person getting drunk and finding out something new.  mostly cuz of the last notation.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Gotta love how so many people think a wobble bass = dubstep o_O

Then again, a cop a few years ago told me that Lady Gaga was Drum n' Bass... Gawd, how I didn't rip him a new one I'll never understand.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Ugh. I know right?
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Yeah....  Then again, look at how most of society views "techno" compared to how djs (and other types of musicians) view the genre of "techno".  To "regulars", Pendulum, Lisa Lashes, Benny Benassi, Dark by Design, Alphazone, etc... are all "techno" artists (or "electronica"), but each is a different style (DnB, Hard House, no fucking clue on Benassi, hard house/hard dance, and hard trance.. respectively).

Or even sadder, how some will lump an artist such as Combichrist (who makes harsh HARSH music to most ears) in the same category as Skrillex *cringes*  Combichrist uses -real- instruments (and a Virus B, and other things, but I digress) - their drummers go fucking nuts in their shows - they also, arguably, dress better :P
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Benny Bennassi is literally listed as "Electronica" if I remember correctly.


I agree though, its pretty damn awful that people are unwilling to classify.
KangasaurusRex
6 years, 2 months ago
I disagree!  Obviously if you don't generally listen to a genre, you are not going to bust your humps getting all the sub-classifications right. It's not as if there's a chart as soon as the first techno song is made. They are created and develop over time and the only way you are going to know the classifications is if you keep up with it.

Nobody wants to hear about it either. If I don't listen to techno, I don't really care to hear an explanation of sub-classifications, just so you wont have to correct me next time. Instead, just let me be slightly incorrect. Some people need to learn that just because something makes them feel cool and smart, doesn't mean it's something everyone is going to care about. Don't be the guy at a party who has to correct all the mis-spoken movie quotes. Nobody likes him.

edit: nevermind, it's been said. I didn't feel like reading the whole thread before I typed a reply.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Why not read the whole thing first next time?

Furthermore, if you think this is because I want to, as you put it, "feel cool and smart," That I talk about this, you are very sadly mistaken.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
He said "because it makes you feel cool and smart," not "because you want to feel/look cool and smart."

I feel cool and smart when I get to show my knowledge/experience/awareness (smarts) of something I find important/relevant/worthwhile (cool), and I do imagine most people tend to feel the same. When discussing something you care about, it IS a good feeling to know and confirm that you're somewhat knowledgeable about the subject. There's nothing at all wrong with that.

You SHOULD feel cool and smart when exhibiting your advanced awareness of something you're passionate about (to other people give a shit, anyway). But his point is valid in that you shouldn't let that good feeling make you forget that ANY of us nerds will have our nerd-interests that no matter how smart we are regarding what we think is cool, it's not going to mean a thing to people who don't see the coolness that we do. X3

Though personally, I do tend to be that guy that corrects people misquoting movies. >_>

I defend this behavior, however, in that when someone is quoting a movie, they have jumped into the 'at least minimally a fan of this thing' category, in which case they don't get to play the 'this is of no significance or merit to me' defense. XD

If you don't like A, you're on the outside of the fan-bubble, so you can't really be faulted for not knowing its specific history and evolution. But if you try quoting a movie, you have stepped into the fan bubble and if you just botch it, that deserves a corrective response. XD It's like... it's like this:

http://cheezburger.com/6598703616
KangasaurusRex
6 years, 2 months ago
The movie thing is not so bad ;) I just like to pretend it is.

That is what I meant though. Lots of things make me feel cool and smart too but I'm careful where I swing it around.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
This is like a Trekkie trying to explain to someone completely disinterested in sci-fi the differences between ferengi, cardassians, and romulans. To someone who doesn't know and doesn't really like any of it anyway, they're all just "aliens." <:3 Or a devout Christian trying to explain the different denominations to someone who just thinks the whole thing is dumb.

A person not interested in the genre isn't stupid or dumb or ignorant or otherwise deserving of mocking for not knowing things that simply aren't relevant to anyone except those who >are< interested in the genre.

This comment says it perfectly: https://inkbunny.net/journalview.php?id=53944#commentid...

The differences don't matter to someone who just doesn't like any of it, and people shouldn't be insulted or offended if their personal fave things aren't as important or cherished to others. X3
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
The difference is, if you would read it, that it is not, dubstep. Dubstep is a completely unrelated genre and to even group them in the same box is silliness.

Propagation and promotion of ignorance is not a stance I can see any logical human being wanting to take but then, that's not what this is about I suppose in terms of rebuttals, as there has been no refutation on your part. (Moreso there's just been lots of "Jesus man take a chill pill, because I don't care you shouldn't either.")

I know that acting nonchalant about it is your way of dealing with the issue at hand, this is ours.
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
Dude.. going on to genre and subgenre specifics on this matter is kinda totally irrelevant really.
it really really is..
to wolfblade, what he dislikes, he calls "dubstep" and similar music in general.
wolfblade is not music professional, nor has any need to know about specific subgenres of modern music like we do. you going on about exact genre misses the point totally..
it is like..
you saying that, that shade of green wolfblade used for grass in one of his drawings hurts your eyes, and wolfblade going on about all frustrated that IT IS NOT GREEN IT IS CYAN !!!!!! why don't you people get that it is cyan and not green... saying that that colour is green is so totally wrong....
...
you see ?
=^w^=
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Well, I guess you're right.
Maybe I did overreact just a little.

But lines like "So, for any other "old guys" (or people with taste) out there who, like me, have been scratching your heads about this whole "dubstep" thing, I can now help shine a light."

Even in jest, are incredulously insulting.

It implies 1: That he cares enough to have researched what he's ragging on. Illiciting the response I originally gave.
And 2: That anybody who listens to what he does not like has no taste. That is literally what he is saying with that in plain text.

When you have to include a disclaimer at the bottom noting that this is "just for fun." That means You KNOW it was written with at least some foreknowledge that people will be offended.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Here's the thing though - dubstep is typically 85-90bpm, whereas music like that from Skrillex is closer to 140, which is much closer to typical top 40/popular dance music.  And the reason why musicians are trying to explain things is because Wolfblade, who is, at least I would assume, someone that would actually do some proper research before going on such a rant...  He's talking about two completely different things - it's like trying to compare a slow ballroom waltz to the frentic activity of an extreme mosh pit and calling them the same fucking thing.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
You guys are clearly of exceptional awareness and personal experience in the highly specific and technical aspect of the creation of this music.

Most people are not.

You are both aware that "everyone calls this dubstep" about something that, to people of equal awareness/experience as you two have, is clearly not dubstep.

The comparisons you make are distinctly separate and different things to an average person, but then you're talking about the actual difference between "dubstep" and the wubwub stuff everyone else is calling dubstep but you say is actually something else in very specific technical detailed terms like the bpm, which >are not factors an average non-music-student person is going to be perceiving as clearly and distinctly.

Yet you both have spoken in a clear attitude of at least mild disdain for people who don't know the stuff you know. I'm saying, okay, if you know more about this genre, and you're saying I'm using incorrect labels, okay fine, BUT, there's no call for acting like everyone who is less directly trained in the subject than you should be expected to know just as much as two clearly passionate and dedicated fans of the genre.

Also, the simple fact is, when someone says "dubstep," MOST people understand that to be the WUBWUBWUBBWOOOOO stuff that you guys say is something else. Well, then the WUBWUB stuff is what the word dubstep effectively means now. What you guys are doing by dismissing the current significantly more common usage of the term for whatever the original definition might have been is equivalent to someone demanding that "gay" still means "happy" or "fag" refers to a cigarette or firewood.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
I have to agree with what SnowTarien has said.  Using a comment that more or less states that dubstep is similar to techno (two VERY different styles of electronic music) is like saying that death metal sounds just like a gregorian chant.  Any person with two (relatively) working ears should be able to notice the differences, especially since they're so bloody obvious.

Additionally, I cannot see where, in this particular comment you replied to, where I stated anyone was stupid for lumping various genres that clearly sound different.  In fact, I commented on SOCIETY's PERCEPTION, or if you will, thoroughly incorrect stereotypes.  If one were to expand to my other comments, I believe I called the police officer stupid for lumping drum n bass into the same clusterfuck known as "top 40 dance music" that Lady Gaga tends to fall into (i honestly wouldn't know how to thoroughly categorize her music because it's completely not my style, and that same police officer almost ARRESTED ME because I couldn't name two of her songs!  Fucking idiot cops.  But yes, her music tends to fall into the latest trends of "popular dance music")
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
ok so first you say this ...
" whitewulfe wrote:
(two VERY different styles of electronic music) is like saying that death metal sounds just like a gregorian chant.  Any person with two (relatively) working ears should be able to notice the differences, especially since they're so bloody obvious.

and THEN you said this...
" whitewulfe wrote:
(i honestly wouldn't know how to thoroughly categorize her music because it's completely not my style, and that same police officer almost ARRESTED ME because I couldn't name two of her songs!  Fucking idiot cops. ....


do you notice that you are kinda expecting such behaviour from others, that you are not yourself capable of ? like naming a genre one is totally not interested in ? really ? can you see that ?

Or do you see that you are acting like that cop you mentioned, going after someone not being able to fulfill your criteria of genre/music knowledge ?

do you see how silly you just seemed ?
really ?
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
There's a difference between being slightly incorrect (let's say someone uses the label "electronic music" for any of the following genres: hard house, hardstyle, gabber, drum n bass, hard trance, etc), and outright calling two very, VERY completely different things the same.  Most people can unconsciously tell the difference between music at 85bpm and 140bpm.

And, no offense, but Lady Gaga's style is, even though I have difficulty putting a name to the actual genre, very VERY easy to identify.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
" whitewulfe wrote:

And, no offense, but Lady Gaga's style is, even though I have difficulty putting a name to the actual genre, very VERY easy to identify.


Just as what everyone is calling dubstep is apparently easy to identify (you say dubstep, people know you mean the WUB WUB WOOOB stuff) even if you say we're putting the wrong name to the genre. Like Lyser said, you're upset at people doing something that you then give yourself a pass for doing the same exact thing.

And again, BPM might be something people notice, but that in itself does not immediately make two completely distinct genres of music. "Metal" does not have a set BPM range where anything within it is Metal and anything outside that range is Not Metal.
Demesejha
6 years, 2 months ago
Electronic Pop, or Pop Dance Music is literally the Genre you're looking for<3
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
If you called a police officer stupid over a music opinion, I'd say THAT probably has a lot more contribution to the 'he almost arrested me' than the fact of you not knowing two lady gaga songs.

The act of calling a police officer stupid over music trivia is kind of an indicator that you let your personal passion for the subject of music very much cloud your judgment and reaction to people who simply do not share that passion.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Whoops, I -thought- such, didn't say it.  My bad on that.  I did tell him I was pretty frustrated with him thinking that just because I looked young that I should know about a musical artist I clearly didn't listen to.  Fucking wish I did though, because I -hate- the cops in this area of the city nowadays.
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
" whitewulfe wrote:
I was pretty frustrated with him thinking that just because I looked young that I should know about a musical artist I clearly didn't listen to.


@_@

Dude, that is exactly the point here. XD

You're expecting people to know these specific sub-genre classification details about a range of music we clearly don't listen to. Same thing you got mad at this cop for doing to you.
KangasaurusRex
6 years, 2 months ago
Oh hey, I pretty much typed that and realized you said the same thing like...right below it.
FriskECoyote
6 years, 2 months ago
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
pssst.. totoy...
that is like saying..
oh you don't like classica symphonies ?
ok, just listen to this deathmetal version this group did from Grieg.....
you see ? kinda invalid argument for or against dubstep really...
changing the genre to some piano meddley does not prove anything about dubstep really..
FriskECoyote
6 years, 2 months ago
Oh I wasn't trying to prove anything about dub-step! I'm staying out of this before spit hits the fan! XD I just thought it would be a nice little intermission from all the... scary big words.
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
*hugs the cute toonyote*
=^..^=
FriskECoyote
6 years, 2 months ago
*Snuggles the cool, wise lion*
Norithics
6 years, 2 months ago
It's the next step in record scratching: Reality scratching.
RabidRaccoon
6 years, 2 months ago
I'm usually not one to moan about stuff, but I friggin' hate dubstep.  It's like an old car.  It's basically a drum and bass song that just won't friggin' start....

But seriously, dubstep is, and has been, really big in the UK for a few years now and I'm just getting sick and tired of it.  
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
It's gotten insanely popular out here now, in ways that DnB never did...  I'm hoping for a rebirth of UK Garage, that stuff's messed, but in a good way.
Yoshiba
6 years, 2 months ago
I made a playlist of dubstep that has at least some aspect of rhythm and melody. http://8tracks.com/lingonius/dubstep-with-feeling

A lot of the time it is just sound, but there are songs of the dubstep genre that evoke emotion in me.
Feryl
6 years, 2 months ago
Best explanation ever. Thank you for the clarification! ^.^
Jimmy
6 years, 2 months ago
Like most things, one artist does a great job with it and others try to get in on the "band" wagon and fail miserably.
axlegear
6 years, 2 months ago
It always amuses me when someone younger than me tells me they don't get something because they're old.  Especially since I love Dubstep.  =D
Krechevskoy
6 years, 2 months ago
Just a shot in the dark, Axle, but I'm all but certain you aren't older than blade...

As for the rest of the people here, thats a different matter.
axlegear
6 years, 2 months ago
Don't correct me bro!

I'm 58 in thylacine years!
Krechevskoy
6 years, 2 months ago
Thats like... 16 in people years? Shouldn't you still be in the ansty teen years, bro?
axlegear
6 years, 2 months ago
Nono, you're thinking of dogs.  Thylacines live longer.  =B
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Oh, it's not that I don't get it "because I'm old," that was just poking fun at how normally when someone is older and doesn't like the current trendy thing, their opinion or taste is dismissed because their age must be why they don't get it. I don't like it because it just registers as awful noise to me. As I said in the journal, the noises only make me think "something has gone very wrong with my device to have it produce these sounds" and don't strike me as "music."

But yeah, age has nothing to do with it. When I was a kid, I preferred the music that was slightly before my generation, and hated the stuff everyone else in school was listening to, but my mom liked all the stuff that was "cool" to kids my age (fucking HATED the angry depresso garbage that replaced the more energetic old school stuff). So actually, my tastes are even older than I am. XD
Wolfblade
6 years, 2 months ago
Actually, I shouldn't say age has NOTHING to do with it, because age IS a factor, just not the be-all, end-all. XD

I think for >most< people, but not all of course, it's just that the older you are, the more experiences and memories you have, the broader the knowledgebase you operate from as far as "here is the range of stuff that can be classified as _____." Younger people with less personal experience and knowledge can be handed something new that is called ______, and accept it as such, while people with a more established definitive range for what falls under that label might not as easily accept it as such.
axlegear
6 years, 2 months ago
*Nods*  Agreed.  I have the same issue with basically any rap after 1993.  MC Hammer was the last good rap.  At least Busta Rhymes tried, tho.

As for Dubstep, I hear your opinion a ton, and it honestly perplexes me.  I have never understood how it DOESN'T sound like music.  It has all the qualities of any music:  Harmony, Melody, Dynamics, and Form.  It's entire purpose is to create a flow of harmony, create a melody, in a manner similar to Trance.  Then to disrupt it outright, causing a disparage between what you expect as the harmonic flow, and what's actually happening.  Even the 'disruptions' are predictible slaves of musical mathematics.

But I digress.  I just can't grasp the concept of it /not/ being music.
Sabreklaw
6 years, 2 months ago
If someone says they don't like chocolate, there is no point in explaining to them how it melts on your tongue, and coats the inside of your mouth with gooey goodness and causes multiple oral orgasms, then slides down your throat like... like...  Shit I'm horny!  On to the pronz!

:)
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
or starting to correct them that what they are actually telling they don't like is not REALLY chocolate but.....
KodaO
6 years, 2 months ago
A lot of dubstep helps me relax
Krechevskoy
6 years, 2 months ago
Been trying at typing the same 4-5 paragraphs a few times now...

I Think I'm actually going to give this one a miss, unless someone asks, since there isn't really a good way for me to word my position on this at this hour...

Regardless... have a good one!
prufen
6 years, 2 months ago
it's crude popular music likely related to the modern definition of techno
Incorgnito
6 years, 2 months ago
No, Skrillex,
A MacBook is not an instrument. :(
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
XD
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
I'm pretty sure he uses a decent amount of programs specifically tailored for music production and/or playback, not to mention the sheer amount of planning and testing one would have to do before even thinking of going out on stage.  A significant amount of music is produced either wholly on computer nowadays, or with a significant amount of computer assistance.

One could argue that one of the most popular keyboards currently in production (the Access Virus, currently on it's fourth incarnation as a "TI" version) is nothing more than a glorified computer with knobs, even more so since it has an extended GUI when you plug the darn thing into a computer...  Yet it's used in so many different types of music.  Hell, even the venerable Buchla 200e series (a very VERY expensive modular synthesizer that does it's job damn fucking well) has patch storage and midi routing built in...

And as for Macbook Pros, VNV Nation uses them exclusively when they're on the road (more than likely with custom tailored software), and their live performances are freaking amazing.  Last time I saw them there were at least four Macbook Pros on stage, but you never would have known such if they had blacked out the backlit apple symbol.
Incorgnito
6 years, 2 months ago
It was a joke.
I love Skrillex, and I have nothing but wubs in iTunes.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Ah.  I thought it was playful, but I think I took it as more serious :)
Incorgnito
6 years, 2 months ago
Haha, s'all good. I've tried making electronic music, I know how complicated it is, but I've never been very talented when it comes to it.
I used to play guitar and keyboard, but never wrote my own stuff.
That was years ago, though, and I pretty much forgot every ounce of it.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
If it's any consolation, I've -never- touched a guitar in my life :P  Then again, I've taken on two of the most difficult classical instruments to play, and did fairly well with the Oboe and Bassoon - gawd, I loved the oboe.

I'll also admit, on occasions, my Korg ER-1 mkII baffles the ever living hell out of me, and it's "just" a drum machine :P (usually I get a creativity block, and then go "fuck it, shiney lights mode time"
AlexReynard
6 years, 2 months ago
Incorgnito
6 years, 2 months ago
I was just joking, dupstep and drum & bass is all I have in my music library right now.
Well, not all I have. But 95% is pretty much "all I have" xD

Edit: By the way that video is awesome.
AlexReynard
6 years, 2 months ago
I have wildly diverse tastes. My iTunes has probably evergy genre imaginable. I tend to prefer individual songs to bands or genres.
Incorgnito
6 years, 2 months ago
That's good, though, I seem to notice my music tastes go in phases, I used to listen to nothing but rock, then hiphop, that formed to pop, then I got into house, and now drum and bass. I'm sure once the new "genre" of music comes out I'll be over dubstep and onto the next thing.
wolfoxx
6 years, 2 months ago
Ha ha. I wish I could watch your reaction to IDM (Intelligent Dance Music) Here try this out, and lets see how your face contorts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pemVkM59f8
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
That... is gorgeous, thanks for introducing me to another artist :)
wolfoxx
6 years, 2 months ago
My pleasure. I love them. But they didn't make that much music. I'm also a fan of VNV Nation too ^^ Them and The Covenant from that genre. I'm also a big fan of Infected Mushroom when it comes to electronica.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Infected Mushroom's "Cities of the Future" was the first record I bought (followed closely by some hard trance and some gabber, but I digress :P ).  Still haven't been to one of their live shows yet though, they always seem to come through town with a dj set, which most people (and some of their dogs and cats) agree on that it's total crap (compared to their live shows).

And on the topic of live shows, I -really- wish that that major event (Elements) they had here in town months ago hadn't been all "OMG WE HAVE PENDULUM!!!" and then in -really- tiny print "dj set", especially since they've been on this MASSIVE live gig kick the past few years (which, I'm sorry, seeing DnB being done -LIVE- is just freaking awesome, especially when one notices just how little in the way of electronic instruments are being used)
wolfoxx
6 years, 2 months ago
I'm not a fan of seeing live performances. For me, the loud crowds, distorted music and obvious fatigue in the singers' voices kinda ruins it for me. I prefer to just listen to the album versions. Not to mention concerts are expensive and just far too crowded and dangerous.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
I would have to agree...  Sadly, the loudness wars we've seen on CDs over the past few years have crept into all aspects of life, but most noticeably movies as well as live shows...  Which is a huge pity, because I've been to some massively awesome live shows that had competent sound guys (VNV Nation, as well as Combichrist) that kept it enjoyably loud but without unplanned distortion.  I tend to wear ear plugs nowadays at events, but that's also because I've spent WAY too much time around aircraft in general (I grew up around them :P)

Thankfully, I refuse to spend any more than $40-45 for a ticket, unless it's one HELL of a show (Canada Day 06 comes to mind, in Calgary, AB, Canada... Where they had something like six HUGE name djs at the time there...  And where I found my love of Dark By Design (hard house, more or less), Alphazone (hard trance), and a (sadly) hatred of how much the headliner I had spent 3 hours running around town to get the $55 early entry tickets (Brooklyn Bounce, who opened with remixed tiesto... I've never seen a military aircraft hangar empty into the smoker's pit so freaking fast o_O  Alphazone and Dark by Design got the whole crowd insanely hyped, and then he drops tiesto instead of his own material).

Hell, for tickets, there are two raver "meccas" close to where I live (Shambhala, as well as Motion Notion), but I'm just not going to pay $150-300 for a SINGLE ticket on top of travel expenses.
wolfoxx
6 years, 2 months ago
Ah OK. Clever you for taking earplugs. I've never been to a live gig myself. Never really thought I'd enjoy it all that much. Too crowded and too loud. I'd prefer to just chill at my desk, being unproductive and listening to that same music over earphones. Sad I know ∑=/ but I like it. Also, you live in Canada? Cool ^^ I love the Canadian accent. I've always wanted to go there. You seem to know a lot about all this. Most of the time I didn't know what you were talking about when reading that paragraph, so I assumed they were all artists and songs >///< I was listening to VNV Nation last night, along with Covenant, and had forgotten just how much I love their stuff. I think it's the singers' voices that I love the most. particularly David Sylvian, and the lead singer in Covenant and A Perfect Circle.
whitewulfe
6 years, 2 months ago
Live music isn't always the best in the world, but there are a wide variety of bands out there that come across as being a more "alive" than in the studio recordings (sadly, no examples come to mind at present), or who will add a unique flare and style to what they do in their live shows.  If done "right", and the band doesn't push too hard too fast (aka too many nights on stage back to back) and take steps to avoid vocal fatigue (namely, drinking water, funny how many singers actually forget to do that while performing), it can be quite a wonderful experience.

Earplugs can definitely help with the noise (most concerts tend to sit around the 110-115dB mark depending on where you are - or, in English, the realm of possible hearing damage), but sadly the crowding that typically occurs at events I have not found any readily available cure for.  In the past, I have been to events where it was obvious the cops, who were supposed to be enforcing capacity laws, had been paid to look the other way, because the one time I went to Tantra in Calgary, AB to see Armin Van Buurin you could barely walk, even on the second floor!

As for the headphones... Eh, to each their own - I tend to spend a decent amount of time with headphones on myself.  CDs/vinyl also have the wonderful benefit of not costing you anything extra after you pay for them too, as compared to a live event where one tends to wind up purchasing drinks (even if it's just overpriced bottled water - I've been to events where a CAN OF ROCKSTAR was cheaper than a bottle of water - if it had been an even that allowed alcohol, I believed a beer or shot would've been cheaper o_O)

Short, hopefully english version of what I meant by the whole "loudness wars" bit: Ever notice how music nowadays has seemed to be a lot louder than 5, or even 10 years ago?  And how it just seems to sit at "loud" most of the time?  Such is the basic "complaint" most music people tend to have with the recording industry as of late - those techniques are -great- for making it sound good over the radio (due to techy sounding things like "dynamic headroom of FM radio being around 15dB from the noise floor, as compared to the studio where it can very well be 60-80dB of headroom", which really just means that, unlike a CD where they can do all sorts of techniques with the sound including wide changes in volume level to convey additional emotions) the "toolkit" you have when mixing for FM radio is quite limited due to the limitations radio has (essentially, the best I can put in English (and not tech-talk) is that with FM radio they have to make it sound relatively good in ALL vehicles despite the fact the listener might be upwards of 160km/100miles away, through terrain that doesn't play well with radio signals (hills, bridges, and buildings tend to distort or even completely absorb radio signals).

Mmm, Canadian accents...  I've more or less a prairie accent - those in BC (west of the Rocky Mountains, and west of my province) sound somewhat different, but the real differences are to the east, where Newfoundlanders have their own "Newfie" accent..  The newfies probably have the strongest accent here in Canada, and a lot of their local slang is confusing as all hell (like the word "b'y", which actually means "friend", or "good friend" depending on how it's used.  But when you hear it, you tend to accidentally hang up on your friends when talking on the phone, since it sounds JUST like "bye" :P )
wolfoxx
6 years, 1 month ago
You, really know a lot about your music don't you? I got most of that but some things I didn't ∑XD But despite it all, I still don't think I'd waste money on going to a concert when I could just listen to it at home. And I never listen to radio, because most stations are all about talking and people phoning in, talking about their miserable lives and participating in tedious quizzes.

I don't know much about accents, If I hear a weird one, I tend to like it. Because my King's English is getting boring now.
celestiallupeo
6 years, 2 months ago
at least mad holy cow disease's "music" didn't become a thing. lmfao
MystycCheez
6 years, 2 months ago
I do not like 99.999999999% of dubstep.
YouFurryFool
6 years, 2 months ago
More like "WUB STEP" right?! Right?? ehh??!
KangasaurusRex
6 years, 2 months ago
Another good explanation might be BWOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!! WUBWUBWUBWUBW! BWOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!! BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WUBWUBWUBWUB!!!!!!!!!! BWUUUUUUUBOPOPOP!!!!!!!!!!
nekkofox
6 years, 2 months ago
I never could bring myself to enjoy dubstep, which may seem odd to those who know me personally because they will immediately direct my attention at my MASSIVE collection of techno, synth, trance, and club/dance tracks in my music library.

And then I have every dubstep-listener say to me, "Oh, you just haven't listened to GOOD dubstep yet!" (curiously, I have the same issue with people pushing rap music into my ears as well...)

And they sit me down, pull up youtube, and play one of hundreds of songs by dozens of artists, all while grinning broadly and looking at me expectantly.

Now, I understand musical taste is entirely subjective. Hell, I hate country music, but it has a massive fan following, as does every other genre (look at that 'noise' genre music...even that has followers). It's regrettable, though, that apparently so many other people don't understand that. And though I've tried, time and again to explain my I dislike for dubstep rationally (clashing beats, overly-forced beats, constant repetition, myriad other reasons that I'm too drunk to list) it always devolves to them pointing at me and saying "Well, you practically listen to it anyway when you listen to Tiesto and Kaskade, so you obviously have no taste in music". I, in turn, get grumpy, and compare music by Skrillex to the sound of a forty-car pileup on the freeway, overlaid on the sound of a sack of cats being savagely beaten against a wall.

Yelling starts, huffing noises are made, and facebook contacts are deleted.

*sigh*

I honestly don't care what people listen to, just (like religion) don't shove it down my throat when my taste doesn't perfectly overlap with yours, am I right?
TripHazard
6 years, 2 months ago
This description you've given seems roughly in line with a lot of the stuff I've heard termed "dubstep". (I skimmed and saw that there is disagreement on this issue. Don't really care! :)

Oddly enough, I find I like it, even contextualized the way you've done so here.

Then again, I used to jam to the sounds of dialup modems. Go figure.

Anyone who's insulted by someone calling it "noise" or anything like that probably needs to lighten up, because it kind of is, but it's also music.
Lyserdigi
6 years, 2 months ago
After reading all of the above...
and pondering on this for a sec, i have this to say about all that genre specific stuff and arguments over what is / is not dubstep...
And i'm going to speak in a general level out of my experience...
As an actual sound professional (doing sound design, DJ gigs and studio work for over a decade in total)
The actual names of genres and subgenres are really not important per se to the consumer end of the music.. or for the bands really..  the main thing is that most people do understand and get what kinda musical style you are referring to, no matter what you happen to call it. As long as the point and idea of what you are talking about gets transferred, there is really no difference if you call something in generic terms, like techo or electronica, or go into really specific subgenres, like illbient or horrorcore..
....
Those specific names for subgenres and their specifications have really come to play in my life, only in situations where i market myself as a DJ.. then it is crucially important for the hiring party and for me, as the hired DJ, that the style of music i am telling i play, or am told to play, is exactly such as both parties have agreed upon, and that the terminology is the same for both parties.
in normal , every day life, picking on people for using the for name for a genre of music they are talking about, is just pure snobbism, and elitist behaviour.
really.
that is the matter of the fact in a nutshell
=^..^=
AlexanderPony
6 years, 2 months ago
O!!!!!M!!!!!G!!!!! Damn blade I just heard this (dub step) genre it's just not for me. It's just to busy to noisy for me it was really confusing to me. I'm more in to classic rock and 80's hair metal like poison,great white, Tesla, and then classic rock groups like rush my favorite band of all time and etc. But this dub step thing I think I'll pass it's just not for me
BrokenPupper
6 years, 2 months ago
Durn whiper snappers and their durn music! D:
Shokuji
6 years, 2 months ago
Some dubstep I can enjoy, but some of it is just white noise to me. :(
Forward
6 years, 2 months ago
EDM! So much fun. ^.^
New Comment:
Move reply box to top
Log in or create an account to comment.